What to cut laminate: what you can use to cut laminate at home.
One of the popular types of residential flooring is laminate. This material consists of several layers, each of which performs a specific functional purpose. When installing such a coating, you have to make adjustments and trim the panels to perform the installation qualitatively and technologically.
Installation of laminate boards involves its fixation to the floor with glue or special self-tapping screws. But many novice craftsmen do not know what to cut laminate to get a quality and even joint.
Several tools can be used to cut vinyl or cork laminate at home:
- Cutter. This design resembles a guillotine. To saw the board, it must be placed under the knife along the cutting line. After that with a certain force the cutter is pressed in, which produces a rubber. With certain skills with this tool, it is possible to cut laminate even lengthwise.
- The jigsaw. Cutting with this machine is one of the fastest and most accessible. But it is important to use only special saws for processing laminate. To cut the desired piece, you should measure the necessary dimensions and draw a straight line for the trimmer. The board is then pushed off the table a little so that the saw moves in the air and starts cutting.
- Hacksaw. Cutting laminate with it can be performed both on the floor and at a certain elevation. For this you also need to mark the trimmer’s fishing line and carefully start sawing. Here it is important to consider the saw’s pitch, because it can take up a lot of laminate. This in turn can lead to misalignment.
- Knife. The top layer of the laminate is a thin layer of film that can easily be damaged with an ordinary box cutter. The technique of working with this tool is quite simple. Along the marked line the edge of the knife should be drawn in such a way as to cut through the top layer. If you want to get an even line for the trimmer, then in addition the board should be fixed qualitatively.
When you have cut through the top layer, you need to break off the excess piece. To do this, the laminate on the edge of the table along the rubber and sharply press on one side. This approach is similar to breaking ceramic tile or glass after working with a glass cutter.
- Circular saw. Cutting with this tool is much faster. To cut a piece of laminate, you should also perform a marking. After that the board is secured to the bed along the plane of the saw’s movement. Place the product with the laminated layer on top. In doing so, the saw blades will enter the material, which will reduce the formation of chips and cracks. When everything is set up, you need to slowly guide the board along the cutting line with the circular saw on.
- angle grinder. This tool resembles a circular saw in principle. Similar types of cutting discs are also used here. But cutting can already be done almost anywhere. But to get an even cut, you need to get a hand that controls the angle grinder during processing.
If people choose a wood-based floor covering, they often give their preference to natural parquet or a cheaper, but no less visually pleasing option. laminate. This material is characterized by increased durability and features that will even surpass natural solutions in terms of operation.
In construction stores you can find different designs of laminate. World-class companies can offer the end users a great variety of textures, which will imitate natural surfaces, such as trees of different species.
This coating has become popular in many respects due to the fact that the laminate is very easy to install using the system locks. Also, such coatings are quite easy to dismantle and re-install.
Laminate is quite easy to install and, if necessary, cut, armed with special tools
The coating is laid in the premises where there is an increased traffic. This is largely due to the fact that the laminate has improved resistance to wear and tear, and the loads he is not afraid of. If you install it in the bedroom or living room, the warm colors of wood will create a cozy atmosphere, and thanks to resistance to water, you can not fear that fungus or bacteria will develop in the kitchen.
How to mount laminate on the wall: 4 ways and instructions for installation
In recent years, laminate flooring has been used not only as a floor finish, but also as wall cladding. In this case, its main advantages remain: aesthetics, practicality, durability. Consider all the ways in which the installation of laminate on the wall, as well as some of the nuances of its selection.
Class and manufacturer
Depending on the strength and level of wear resistance, laminate boards are divided into several quality classes, the belonging to which can be determined by marking.
- The numbers 21-23 indicate that these products are designed for use in low-traffic residential areas.
- Classes 31-33 indicate a high level of protection against abrasion that laminate flooring has for use in public buildings, as well as in apartments where there are a lot of people. This coating is the most durable, and it is usually purchased for the finish of the floor.
When cladding the wall, it makes sense to save money, because the load on this finish is much less. Consequently, classes 21 to 23 are best suited. If you cannot find such a product, you can choose boards with protection level 31.
It is believed that the domestic or European-made strips are the most reliable. But it is better not to buy Chinese, as they differ a lot of harmful substances. Not bad quality in the U.S. cladding, but it is too expensive.
Type of connection
Type of the lock by means of which lamellas are joined with each other should be chosen depending on mounting technology.
- For laying on the glue appropriate to use models without bevel, that is, without the castle joint at all. The quality of finishing the absence of end mounts will not affect, because all seams will be plastered with an adhesive composition. Of course, this method of laying and boards with tongue and groove, but they cost more, and there is no need for them.
- Boards with tongue and groove joints (tongue and groove) are chosen for installation on a wooden frame. Fasten them on self-tapping screws and nails, and sometimes on self-tapping screws and glue. The tongue and groove system ensures a snug fit, but you should have some experience with it.
- Click-lock laminate flooring is also used when installing on rails, often on metal rails. Click joint. these are the same tongue and groove, but a more complex configuration, when docking they emit a characteristic click. The use of locks of this type allows you to create almost seamless surface. These lamellas are fixed to the lath with clips and self-tapping screws. To get a better idea of how these panels fit together, you should first try laying a few pieces together on the floor.
On the glue
Mounting on the glue. one of the simplest technologies, but it requires that the base was absolutely flat. Otherwise the glued lamellas would very quickly come off and collapse. So it became necessary to check the surface. If there are cracks, potholes, chips. fill them with putty, and then treat the concrete with a primer of deep penetration. If you have an old finish. paint or plaster. remove it, using a trowel, and only then begin to level the wall. In especially difficult cases, trim it with drywall, plywood or chipboard.
Once the surface is fully prepared, use a spirit level to mark out lines for future trim rows and socket locations. The glue method allows you to install the boards in any order: horizontally, vertically, diagonally.
Prepare the material according to the markings. Cut on one side of the tongue and groove joints (if any) on those products that will be in the end rows, if necessary, shorten the boards. Do both with a jigsaw.
Use a polyurethane sealant or a special mounting glue to fasten the material. Gently spread the compound on the back side of the lamella all around the perimeter and then around the center.
Firmly press the laminate flooring to the substrate, tapping lightly with a rubber mallet. Remove the extruded excess of glue with a rag or any other dry cloth. Glue the other pieces in the same way.
In case of horizontal installation start to lay the boards from the bottom of the floor, from left to right and then upwards. In the case of vertical installation start from the upper left corner and go down. If you need a diagonal pattern like “herringbone”, then, again, it’s better to mount it from above, and alternately on one side and on the other: it will be easier to control the correctness of the laying.
When working with tongue and groove lamellas, don’t forget that they should be able to be clicked into place. The panels of the bottom row should be fixed with a gap between them and the floor at 1-2 cm. In the future, this indentation is closed with a skirting board.
On the battens
If in the process of finishing it is necessary to make insulation, soundproofing or lay electrical wiring, wooden battens are used for installation. In addition, it will allow you to level the work surface in a “dry” manner, that is, without the use of liquid compositions. Such a frame is not difficult to construct by yourself.
Prepare well-dried wooden bars with a width of at least 40 mm. Calculate their number on the basis of the size of the wall and the finishing material: the distance between the two fastened strips must be half the length of the decorative strips (10-20 cm).
Drill holes for fasteners, and then make a notation on the wall, and then fix bars on it with dowel nails and self-tapping screws. In areas where the surface is not flat enough, put wedges under the laths. During installation, check the level of the frame, do not allow deviations of the construction in different directions.
It is necessary to understand in advance how to mount the laminate on the wall: horizontally or vertically. In the first case, set the slats perpendicular to the floor, in the second. parallel to it.
For installation of the facing on the framework you will need special self-tapping wood screws with a flat head, as well as small finishing nails 1.6×20 mm.
Install the panel of the bottom row on the distance spacers groove up (in case of horizontal installation) and screw the fasteners: at the bottom. in the corners and in the center. at the very edge. Fix the product from above with nails, hammering them into the edge of the groove at an angle of 45 degrees, similarly. at the edges and in the middle.
How to accurately disassemble a laminate flooring?
During the operation of the laminate often appears defects. If they are shallow and small you can use touch-up pads, wax chalks and other special products.
If the laminate flooring begins to squeak in some places when you walk, if it has swollen from moisture, or if there are no expansion joints, you can replace individual lamellae. To do this, the coating must be partially dismantled. To selectively change the panels, initially buy the material with a small stock. If there are no spare lamellae, the board with the defect is moved to a place where it is inconspicuous, for example, under the closet.
Sometimes the laminate flooring is completely disassembled to move it to another room, such as a holiday home. In order to remove laminate without damaging the locks, you need to do it according to the rules.
To dismantle a laminate floor with your own hands are necessary:
- for removing baseboards. a pencil and a screwdriver;
- For the dismantling of separate and / or adhesive floorboards. a chisel, jigsaw, rubber spatula, glue, tape measure, spare floorboard.
Locked laminate is dismantled without any tools. In rare cases, tightly seized floorboards are disconnected with improvised tools.
How to carefully and properly dismantle the laminate flooring?
- Dismantle baseboards. completely around the perimeter of the room or along one wall, depending on the planned scope of work.
- Laminate flooring dismantling start from the wall opposite the door: in this part of the room the boards are less clamped and easier to remove.
- In accordance with the technology the laminate flooring is installed with a technological gap to the wall~1,5 cm. If after removing the baseboard you find that there is no technological gap, carefully trim the edge of the laminate at the wall with a jigsaw.
- Boards are picked up easily and without sudden movements, so as not to damage the locks.
- Immediately after dismantling, the boards are numbered on the back side with a marker.
- Dismantle the boards into 3 stacks. place the outermost trim pieces near the walls on the left and right, and the solid pieces in the middle.
- Wrap the stacks of laminate flooring in plastic.
Dismantling skirting boards
To remove the skirting board remove the corner and connecting caps, and then an electric screwdriver unscrew the screws that secure the skirting board to the wall. If the skirting board is fixed with liquid nails, you will need a chisel and hammer to remove it. The skirting boards may then need to be replaced.
How to disassemble a laminate flooring correctly, taking into account the fasteners?
Lock systems are used in modern laminate flooring:
- Lock: a groove on one side and a tongue with a fixing notch on the other;
- Click. the spike is a flat hook along the entire length of the lamella, and the groove. the same length.
Types of laminate flooring joints: Click and Lock
There are also the Click and Lock systems with the original plastic clicks on the long side or on both sides of the panel.
How to disassemble a Click laminate flooring installed correctly?
Laminate with the Click lock system is easy to disassemble. To remove it:
- Pull the outermost lamella up by the long edge.
- Pull the plane up to a 30° to 45° angle and unlock the row.
- Disassemble it into individual slats. Number them and arrange them into 3 stacks as described above.
Coverings with a classic plastic tongue and groove joint, such as Kronospan’s 1 clic 2 go, can be removed in the same way as HDF joints. To release a plastic-locked hybrid lock, such as the 5 G from Kronotex, you need to push each lock longitudinally on both sides of the panel separately.
How to disassemble a Lock laminate without damaging it?
Laminate with a lock system Lock disconnect with a special staple for laminate flooring:
- Insert the curved edge of the tool into the butt, and tap gently with a wooden mallet or mallet on the other.
- Pull the lamellas apart horizontally until the tongue that appears is exposed.
- Sign the displaced halfboard with a marker. Stack the lamellas in 3 piles as described above.
Instead of using a laminate flooring bracket you can use a crowbar, chisel or other tools. When dismantling a Lock with plastic elements it is extremely important not to damage the plastic elements. Otherwise the latch cannot be repaired.
How to partially dismantle a laminate floor without damaging it?
Partially dismantle the laminate flooring to change individual floor mats in the middle of the room.
How to disassemble a partially old laminate Click?
To open a Click joint, carefully pry open the row of floorboards closest to the wall with a screwdriver. Then gently lift the floorboard until the fasteners disengage, press with as little force as possible to avoid damaging the delicate lock, and remove it. Number and set aside.
This way you can reach the defective board and replace it. After that assemble the laminate flooring back together and fix the skirting board.
How to partially remove a Lock laminate by yourself?
To partially remove a laminate flooring with a Lock-Lock joint, push a staple into the end joint between the panels. Hit the bracket with a mallet and move it 1 cm against the wall with the removed skirting board.
Put a staple in the longitudinal joint and move the adjacent rows of laminate flooring. Remove the damaged panel and replace it with a new one. a
Use a mallet to snap the lock in place. To reassemble the flooring, reverse the above steps.
The number of allowed assembly and disassembly of the laminate manufacturer indicates on the packaging, as a rule it is 3-4 cycles. Deformation of plastic lock systems is minimal. such a laminate flooring can be re-plastered up to 5 times.
How to protect against moisture?
As mentioned above, most problems with laminate can be avoided by taking good care of it.
Today there are a huge number of ways to do this:
- Polishes and impregnations containing wax. These products have a water-repellent effect, but this method works only with regular processing coverage and compliance with all instructions (eg, the tool is applied twice at intervals of 4 hours, and then at least 12 hours will soak). In addition, you should always read the accompanying information carefully to buy impregnation specifically for laminate and not for parquet. By the way, the impregnation is usually applied to the joints of the boards. Approximate volume of one tube. 500 ml, this should be enough to handle about 10 m2. And the polish should treat the entire area of the room. the tool will create a thin protective film, which must be renewed after some time.
- Protective film, which will be almost invisible if it is carefully glued.
There is a general recommendation for the use of any care product: the surface to be treated must first be cleaned of dirt and thoroughly dried. Otherwise, not only is there a risk that it will not be beneficial, but it can cause damage, stagnant moisture, and even the same bloating.
READ Makita Electric Saw Chain Tensioner Repair
Rules of laying plywood on the wooden floor
- The plates are mounted in a gap with an offset on the plate floor. This is necessary to distribute the load on the floor more evenly.
- To fix the plywood, in addition to hardware, adhesive is used. This is necessary to increase the stability of the sheets.
- Plywood, like any wood, has the ability to “breathe”. To ensure that the material can expand freely under the influence of temperature, a centimeter gap is left between the boards.
Laying the substrate.The material is laid parallel to the laminate boards. If the whole piece of the subfloor is not enough to cover the whole floor, the joints should be carefully joined with scotch tape.
Lay the first row of laminate flooring starting from any corner that is adjacent to the main light source. First connect the solid panels. Then trim the pieces in hard-to-reach places.
Step 3.When trimming the material turn the board 180 degrees, hold it against the place of installation and mark a line for the trimmer of the cut. This is how you mark out all the slats that need to be trimmed.
The best way to install laminate flooring is to install it with an offset of half a strip. This way the joints will be more secure.
Can I trim a laminate floor??
Laminate can be successfully sawed with an ordinary wood hacksaw. But you need to put some effort into this, because its teeth are quite large and will bite into the laminate instead of sawing it out. The finer teeth of a hacksaw for metal. it is necessary to use it for sawing.
If you have a hardwood parquet, it is better to cut it with a coping saw. They come with a clamping tool. This option would be the safest and highest quality. Even with the sharpest hacksaw you can’t do it properly.
Using a special tool
The advantages of this tool include high cutting speed and the ability to work with several panels at the same time. It has already been noted that an angle grinder has similar performance, but there are some serious features of a circular saw. Its power in terms of cutting is much higher, so if you are thinking about what is the best way to cut laminate from the commercial or semi-commercial series, you will not find this method better.
The cheapest circular saw, I mean saw, costs from 40. Buy it just to cut the laminate when installing makes no sense. But dragging a huge machine into your apartment isn’t an option either. If you are a lucky owner of this tool, you can safely use it to cut the laminate. To do this, we use a disk on metal. A beginner will have to learn how to use a circular saw. It is not safe; even experienced craftsmen are sometimes injured.
Features of using a circular saw:
- We mark and cut on the front side;
- Safely fix the workpiece on a flat surface upside down with the image. It is to fasten, not so that one holds and the other saws;
- If you have a circular machine. marking and sawing also on the side with the drawing;
- In the case of using the machine, the laminate board is not fixed. It is neatly led on the disk. Be sure to use goggles so as not to get into the eye coarse sawdust.
For sawing laminated board, in addition to the jigsaw, angle grinder and hacksaw, you can use a special tool, or rather a machine. At first glance at the equipment, you can say that it is very similar to the guillotine, which is used to cut paper. The machine consists of the support on which the lamella is placed, the blade and the handle. After pressing the handle, the blade falls on the lamella. The cut is smooth and beautiful.
The machine works quietly, without leaving behind debris and dust. No defects are left on the material during cutting.
You can, of course, buy such a machine. But, if you are not professionally engaged in repairs, it will almost all the time just dust in the corner.
The laminate flooring cutter is only used for cutting crosswise the lamella. If you need to cut the laminate plank lengthwise, you can’t do without the angle grinder, a jigsaw, or a hacksaw.
Not always the cut is perfect. However, it should be remembered that a skirting board will be placed on top of the laminated board. It will cover an uneven cut. If a crack appears when cutting a lamella, there is no need to worry. Such a defect can be corrected with a special paste.
We figured out what to cut the laminate with. But, finally, we would like to note that when using an electric jigsaw, angle grinder or hacksaw during the work will be formed construction debris in the form of sawdust. Therefore, it is advisable to pre-cover the floor with paper, film or cloth. And it’s even better to work in the room where it is laid, but in the neighboring room. After all, you should lay a decorative floor covering on a clean surface.
After sawing the laminate boards you need to wipe the sawing area with a wet rag. This is done to get rid of dust, which was formed during the sawing process.
Using a circular saw with a disk designed for cutting through metal you can get a very accurate cut. Here’s just working with such a tool is much more difficult than with others, because before sawing laminate at home with a circular saw, you need to have at least some experience in its use.
Here are a few tips for using such a tool:
- In order to perform this procedure it is necessary to lay the laminate flooring on a smooth hard surface with the straight side upwards.
- Do not apply too much pressure, the movement should be light.
- Move the blade strictly along the previously traced line.
- Saw the coating carefully, without delays and pauses.
Despite the fact that the laminate is well sawn by hand, the use of power tools makes the task much easier. Sometimes a handheld circular saw is used for this purpose. As with a hacksaw, here use blades with fine teeth. Before sawing the laminate, make a mark on its back side, as the movement of the disk is from the bottom upwards. The board is securely clamped on a workbench or table, leaving the part to be cut on its weight. Then along the line of marking smoothly saw out the unwanted piece.
the formation of dust and noise; the smell of burning wood; the presence of skill.
When using any tool to cut laminate, it is important to correctly calculate the forces that are applied. Excessive pressure can lead to cracks or chips on the surface of the panel. Precise calculation of the required amount of material will allow you to cut laminate with minimal waste.
What a professional uses
In any case it is easy to distinguish an amateur from a professional, not only by the speed and quality of work, but also by the tool used. This is what happens with laminate flooring. Professionals use a laminate flooring cutter that can be used to make a cut in a very short period of time.
As you can see in the photo, this cutter. it is a manual machine with a sharp blade that is clamped to the base. The blade is easily adjusted for different types of cuts. With the machine you can cut lamellas lengthwise, crosswise and at different angles, without spending a lot of effort and power.
- Lay the lamella in a horizontal position on the support of the machine.
- The cutter adapts to the marking.
- The builder applies force to the handle and the blade gradually cuts the lamella.
Professional machine. this is what sawing laminate without chipping becomes very easy, so everyone who is engaged in the laying of laminate, tries to buy it.
You can use any of the presented tools, but remember that the most important thing in sawing laminate is the quality of the edge. Remember a tip: to make as few chips and jagged edges as possible do not apply too much force to the sawing tool, because it will force the tool to pull splinters out of the material body, not to cut them out.
Now you know all the sawing methods, so you can decide for yourself how to saw the laminate.