Inserting the socket into the handle of the screwdriver, first check that the tool works
After you have soldered the socket, you can carry out the initial test. But carefully examine the connections: make sure that the bare contacts are not shorted. Otherwise, there is a high probability that both the power supply and the battery will burn out. After you have plugged in the screwdriver (the battery is not inserted yet) and have applied power to the adapter, press the button. The screwdriver should work. If everything is in order, you can disconnect the power supply from the power tool and continue working.
Using the same office knife, recesses are made in both halves of the housing on the handle. As a result, after assembling the housing, in this place there should be a hole in which the socket itself will be located. Depending on the model and shape of the screwdriver, it may be necessary to fix it further. You can use a heat gun with a polyethylene rod or double-sided adhesive tape for this. In some cases (as it was in mine) you can do without additional fixing. the socket fit tightly, it did not move when turning on/off the plug.
I’ve heard by ear that it is possible to fix the socket with epoxy glue, but I would like to mention that it takes quite a long time to dry. If you “plant” the connector on it, you have to wait about a day before you can use the screwdriver from the mains.
Insert the socket into the handle of the screwdriver and, if necessary, secure it
How to turn a cordless electric screwdriver into a cordless screwdriver
The electric screwdriver battery has “given up its life” again? Tired of wasting hours recharging? It’s a shame you can’t just plug an invaluable tool into the mains. Alas, most modern models are completely deprived of this function. However, with the proper desire and the presence of the right materials, every owner can implement a makeshift conversion of an electric screwdriver to work with a voltage of 220 volts. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to convert an electric screwdriver to 220 volts.
Without batteries, a screwdriver is no more than a piece of metal. When batteries stop holding their charge, you have to look for new batteries. First, it is expensive. the price of batteries is up to 80% of the cost of a screwdriver, it is more effective to buy a new tool. Secondly, batteries are not always available, for example, if the model is discontinued. Thirdly, a diligent owner tends to use all opportunities to save money.
Converting a cordless screwdriver to run on mains power is a good way out. What it gets:
How to Make / Convert an Electric Screwdriver from NiCd in lithium-ion
- The instrument gets a new life.
- No more need for batteries that require charging.
- Tool’s torque is not dependent on battery charge.
The disadvantage of the converted design. the dependence on the socket and the length of the mains cable.
Since an electric screwdriver requires a voltage much lower than that of the centralized grid, the power tool requires an electrical adapter. a power supply that will convert 220 volts AC to 12, 16 or 18 volts DC. There are several power supply options.
How to Convert a Mini Wireless Screwdriver to Wired || TOUYE
Impulse machines. inverter system. Such power supplies first rectify the input voltage, then convert it into high-frequency pulses, which are either fed through a transformer or directly. Voltage stabilization through feedback is achieved in two ways:
Experienced craftsmen prefer the switching power supply unit, as it is small in size. It is compact, since it has no power transformer.
Such a power supply source usually has a fairly high efficiency. about 98%. Impulse units provide short-circuit protection, which ensures the safety of the device, as well as locking in the absence of the load.
Among the obvious disadvantages is the lower power compared to the transformer version. In addition, the action of the device is limited to the lower limit of the load, that is, at a power below the permissible level, the power unit will not work. Users also note the increased difficulty of repair compared to the transformer.
Transformers are considered to be the classical variant of power supply. A linear power supply is a symbiosis of several components:
- Step-down transformer. The winding of the power device is designed for the mains voltage.
- Rectifier, whose function is to convert alternating current to direct current. There are two types of rectifiers: single half-period and double half-period. The first one has 1 diode, the second one has a diode bridge of 4 elements.
The circuit may also include other components:
- High-capacitance capacitor, necessary for smoothing ripples, located after the diode bridge;
- The stabilizer, which conditions a constant output voltage despite any surges in the external mains;
- Short-circuit protection unit;
- A high-pass filter to eliminate interference.
Transformers are popular due to their reliability, simplicity, repairability, absence of interference and low cost.
Disadvantages are only cumbersome, heavy weight and low efficiency.
When selecting or self-assembling transformer power supplies, please note that the output voltage should be slightly higher than necessary for the work of the tool. The fact that some of it is taken away by the stabilizer. For example, for an electric screwdriver with a power supply of 12 volts choose a transformer power supply with an output voltage value of 12-14 volts.
In the work on the modernization of the electric screwdriver battery type, you can use the following set of tools:
- Screwdrivers of various types; ;
- A construction knife; ;
- Electrical cable (preferably stranded), jumper wire;
- A soldering station including a soldering iron, solder and acid;
- Enclosure box for the power supply, which can be an old battery, prefabricated factory device, homemade box.
Mounting a ready-made power supply unit in the case of an old battery
The easiest way to assemble a battery charger is to use a case from a native battery that has fallen into disrepair. To do this, you need to buy a ready-made unit with suitable characteristics and dimensions. There are enough of such things at radio markets. Take the case with you and go to the fitting. When a power supply you are looking for is purchased. carefully separate it from the case.
- Disassemble the old battery and take out the dead cells.
- Drill a hole in the battery case for the cable, put the cable through the hole. It is desirable to seal the connection with tape or heat shrink tubing to prevent the wire from tearing out of the case.
- Install the power supply in the battery case.
- Solder the pins.
- Use a tester to check the output voltage.
- Connect the low-voltage wires to the terminals on the old battery. Assemble the case.
- Connect the screwdriver to the electrical outlet and test it.
If the power supply had ventilation holes in the housing, it is necessary to make similar ones in the new design.
Observe electrical safety rules. Soldering and wiring must be done with the unit de-energized.
In the story. How to make a power supply for an electric screwdriver
This method requires a minimum of technical knowledge. You can help you unnecessary charger from a laptop, as it has similar characteristics and can easily be found in any home.
You will need to refine the battery pack, for this you need to disassemble it and take out the failed batteries:
- Use a laptop charger. 12-19V chargers will work. It is important to check the voltage and current of the charger.
- Cut off the connector and strip the wires of insulation.
- Take the bare wires and solder them. If you do not have such a possibility, tape them.
- Make a hole in the housing for the wire and assemble the construction.
Connecting to a power supply from a computer
As a rule, craftsmen use AT-type power supplies. They have a capacity of about 350 watts and an output voltage of about 12 volts. These parameters are sufficient for normal operation of the electric screwdriver. In addition, all technical specifications are indicated on the housing, which greatly simplifies the work of adapting the power supply unit to the tool. The device can either be borrowed from an old computer or bought at a computer store. The main advantage is the presence of a toggle switch, a cooling cooler and an overload protection system.
How to convert cordless drill to corded, Black & Decker
- The power supply from the personal computer can safely be taken in a “used” state.
- To do this, first remove the battery of an electric screwdriver, carefully disassemble it, pull out the battery. When disassembling the battery it is very important to keep intact the original terminals and their holders.
- Next, the terminals should be very carefully torn from the battery, after which they are welded to a pre-made wire with a cross section of 4 kv.mm. Once this is done, insert the terminals into the holders. Next, we drill the battery case so that with the help of an M3 screw we can fasten the terminal holder.
- The next step is welding the capacitor to the terminals.
- This is done so that the power supply of a personal computer does not go into protection from the inrush current.
- Next, we drill the battery case for the wire. Solder the wire and assemble the whole construction.
- Then we take our power supply and find on it the wires with a 12 volt output. If there are two mowing lines, they are twisted together. Find the right wires will help the description on the sticker of the PSU PC.
- Now you need to make it so that the PSU will turn on without a computer. For this we take any black wire and short it with any green one.
- That’s all there is to it. After connecting the electric screwdriver will work from 220 V.
In the story. Test different power supplies for converting an electric screwdriver to a corded power supply
In order for the device to work quietly from an ordinary socket, it needs a power supply. This gadget will convert alternating current into direct current.
Kolner KCD 12V electric screwdriver with a nickel-cadmium battery
Most of the devices have 12 and 24 V. It only makes sense to convert 12 volt electric screwdriver. If you have an old 12 volt nickel battery, you can experiment with it.
The basis for modification
The price of readymade power supplies in online stores or in hardware stores is very high. There is no sense in buying them for that amount of money, but there is a better solution to this problem.
Important! Computer power supply is useful. such products are very powerful and are available to almost everyone. Often, they are just lying around.
Buying the device will not ruin your wallet either, because a used 300-500W item can be bought very cheaply. It is important that the unit was working, and its appearance does not matter.
- A cable of the right length;
- M3 countersunk screw and nut;
- power connector;
- duct tape;
- drill and drill bits;
- Soldering iron.
How to work with an old battery
First dismantle the “native” battery and remove the batteries. Be sure to save all terminals, so disassemble carefully.
Tip:! It is best to make the battery pack removable, so you can work from both the mains and batteries.
Use the soldering iron to solder a 3 mm² wire to the terminals, which is thick enough to prevent the electric current from dissipating into heat, even with long cable lengths. The ends are preliminarily stripped of insulation.
Then remember the color of the minus wire and insert the terminals according to the plus and minus on the battery body. Drill a hole through the housing with a 3 mm bit.
Use a large drill bit to chamfer the wire so that the screw doesn’t stick out. Tighten the screw with the nut. It is highly recommended to put a capacitor at 12-25 V capacity of 10000 uF (sold in radio stores) in parallel to the terminals. it will serve as a buffer of inrush currents and reduce the load on the power supply.
The capacitor is also soldered to the terminals. Then take the wire out of the case and fix it with electrical tape to reduce the load on the terminals. Assemble the entire device.
Working with the power supply
First twist the wires together along the lines, if there are two of them in the unit. Connect the two “grounds” and the two main cables in parallel. If the unit has only one line, just take two black and two yellow wires. To make the cable disconnectable, use the XT60 power connector (its price is the lowest), though this condition is optional.
To start the computer power supply, you must connect the PS-ON contact to the “ground” (GND) wire. the green wire to the black wire. This is successfully accomplished with a jumper made from a paper clip.
Tip! Excess cables can be cut off, but it is better to leave the tails, twist and insulate, and then place them inside the battery.
Checking the device made with your own hands shows that it works perfectly. All modifications take a couple of hours maximum, and at the output you can get a powerful device that in a couple of seconds will screw in the biggest screwdriver or make a lot of other useful works.
Power supply options
Any electric screwdriver requires much less voltage than a normal outlet. Therefore, for feeding, you will need a special converter, the output of which will get the necessary voltage. All power supplies are divided into two large groups: pulsed and transformer. Let’s consider each of them separately.
The principle of operation of switching systems is that the voltage is first rectified, and then converted to a special pulse signal. It is important to achieve a stable voltage. A transformer winding or resistors can help.
Switch mode power supplies are quite efficient and can be used in a variety of conditions. At the same time they have a high level of protection against short circuits and similar effects. But the pulse systems are clearly inferior to the transformer ones in terms of power. Also these units are very picky about the input voltage. If it is below the set value, the element can simply not work.
Disadvantages also include the difficulty of repair work in case of failure.
common power supplies that have proven their reliability and efficiency in many applications. The device consists of a step-down transformer and rectifier, through which the undervoltage passes. Rectifiers can be different, depending on the number of diodes used.
Such units are simple to make, cheap and reliable. That is why they are often preferred. They provide a stable voltage without interference with high maximum power. But there are also a few drawbacks. The main disadvantage is cumbersome, with much lower efficiency than pulse sources. This fact requires that the power supply for an electric screwdriver has more power than the tool needs. Since part of the power will be spent on side processes.
Getting started and possible solutions
Electrical connection diagram for an electric screwdriver.
First, you need to solder the cable ends to the terminals of the charger. Copper conductors and brass contacts can only be soldered after acid pretreatment. It is often recommended to use a special solder for this purpose, but the average person does not go into the subtleties of the process, so we use the most simple and proven ways.
Acid-treated contacts and wiring are easy to solder. In practice, many get away even from this: you can, after all, use clips (“crocodiles”) instead of soldering.
How to convert an electric screwdriver to 220
A great household helper is a cordless screwdriver.
This tool will be with you everywhere, but it works exactly until the battery runs out, but the number of charge cycles it has is limited, even from idleness the battery can go bad.
Batteries live about three years, and at the end of this time you will need to replace it. It is possible to save the tool if you convert it from cordless to corded and there are various ways to do this.
Why redo your screwdriver? When you need it? If you’re reading this article, you probably already appreciated all the convenience of this tool. Without unnecessary wiring and at any time you can use it even in the most remote places, as long as the battery does not run out. This is the first disadvantage of a screwdriver.
The cheaper the tool, the faster the battery will run out of charge cycles. There is a second disadvantage. And you should understand that the manufacturer saves as much as you do, and there’s nothing unusual about it.
Buying a new battery is not much different in costs than buying a screwdriver, but there is a way out, and now we will look at options for converting the screwdriver from cordless to mains power.
There are several ways to convert a screwdriver from cordless to cordless:
- Using a laptop charger;
- using a power supply from a PC;
- Using a car battery;
- using a power supply from a halogen bulb;
- using a Chinese 24V power supply board.
How to convert a cordless screwdriver to 220 volt power?
Methods for converting a cordless screwdriver to mains power vary in complexity. Connecting the charger from a laptop requires little knowledge for computer power supply installation needs to be friendly with a soldering iron, and for reconfiguration of the Chinese unit master must be able to handle measuring tools.
This method will require a minimum of technical knowledge. If there is a need to remake the screwdriver in the mains, you can help an unnecessary charger from a laptop, as it has similar characteristics and easily found in any home. First you need to see what the output voltage of the battery charger. Suitable chargers for 12-19V.
You need to refine the battery pack by taking it apart and removing the defective batteries.
- Take a laptop charger.
- Cut the connector and stripped the wires of insulation.
- Take the bare wires and solder them. If there is no such a possibility, tape them down.
- Make a hole in the case for the wire and assemble the construction.
So you will need a “AT” size power supply. It is very likely that you can find it at home, but you can easily buy an old working power adapter at any flea market. Its cost is unlikely to be high. It is very important to remember that a power supply with a capacity of 300-350 W and a current of at least 16 A in a 12 V circuit will do.
- Unscrew the power supply case. Under the housing you will see the fan, the board and a lot of wires that go from the board to the connectors.
- You need to remove the trigger guard. To do this, find the green wire on the large square connector.
- Connect the green wire to any black wire from the same plug. For convenience you can cut it shorter and leave it inside the case. Alternatively, you can use a jumper made from a small piece of wire.
- Cut off the unwanted wires, leaving the yellow and black one.
- Using a piece of wire as an extension cord, so that the power supply unit can be located in a convenient place during operation, solder it to the yellow and black wires
- Attach the other end of the wire to the terminals of the empty battery compartment, as in the previous instruction.
how to convert the screwdriver to work from the mains
The principle of such conversion is not different from the way with the laptop charger. Thanks to the current trend towards compact pulse chargers, linear analog units with manual control can be purchased at the car market at a very attractive price.
If battery voltage changes smoothly, it will fit absolutely any screwdriver, and remodeling such a tool is done as follows:
- To connect the screwdriver to the car battery you should use inexpensive wires with a small cross section, car cigarette lighter wires will do.
- On all sides of each wire cut so-called “crocodiles”, on the free end stripped the wire of insulation by 2-3 cm.
So, we are talking about a power supply with an output voltage of 24 V and a maximum current of 9 A. Screwdrivers are usually designed for 12 V or 18 V, so you first have to lower the voltage to an acceptable level.
To change the output voltage, it is necessary to make an improvement in the feedback circuit. The output voltage is controlled by the resistor under the R10 position. Its nominal value is 2320 Ohm. Instead of this resistor we will set the trimmer, thus it will be possible to change the output voltage of the power supply unit to our needs, the nominal value of the trimmer is 10 kOhm.
If the battery is faulty: How to make an adapter for a screwdriver?
There are two ways to make an adapter: use an old battery pack, because it already has a connector that will fit the screwdriver, or connect the wires directly to the handle.
Connecting the old unit is done as follows:
Connecting the wires directly to the screwdriver is done as follows:
Congratulations! Now that you’ve learned how to convert a screwdriver to a corded machine, you can put that knowledge into practice. And whether your screwdriver is charged or not. You won’t have to worry about how long the battery will last. Good luck with your rewiring!
Before you get down to the task at hand, you need to review whether everything is there to “upgrade” the tool. In the process, you will definitely need:
- Computer power supply;
- 12-volt electric screwdriver;
- Soldering iron;
- Duct tape;
- XT60 power connector;
- A 6 W light bulb or two 3 W bulbs.
These tools and materials will help to convert the electric screwdriver without harming the tool to the power supply. And the following will consider the option of arranging a detachable cord.
Needed materials and tools
Materials and tools when remaking an electric screwdriver depends entirely on the type of tool and type of power source, as well as its features. But if you summarize, there are a few basic tools:
- Insulating materials
- The cable for the electricity supply;
- soldering iron and materials for soldering;
- A housing of some kind for the future power supply.
a grass trimmer or lawnmower
Equipment for mowing grass on the plot is not cheap. If necessary, it can be made at home, using an old electric screwdriver. In addition, it is also necessary to prepare such materials:
- Plastic pipe up to 2 meters long;
- Fixing elements;
- Motor from a 12 V electric screwdriver and its battery;
- Adapter for the pipe (40-50 mm);
- plastic bucket;
- alligators (clips);
- The blade of a box cutter.
The working process to create a grass trimmer or lawnmower consists of several steps. To obtain the desired result it is necessary to observe their sequence:
- Disassemble the housing of the electric screwdriver by removing its motor.
- Mark the places on the plug for fixing and drill them out.
- Fix the motor to the plug by screwing it down with 2-3 screws.
- Solder motor leads.
- Install the motor on the seat. Run the wires coming from it through the plastic pipe.
- Mark on the pipe where the trigger will be located with a marker. Drill a hole.
- Connect the wires to the button. To quickly turn on the device using the battery, you can also solder crocodiles.
- Make a holder for the battery from the adapter.
- Install the accumulator by connecting it to the adapter on the pipe.
- Use the blades of a paper knife to make blades for the future equipment.
- Connect the motor shaft and the nozzle with a terminal clamp.
- Protective cover can be made from a plastic bucket by connecting it to the lower end of the pipe.
Such a homemade device can be used for mowing young vegetation.