How to remove the trimmer head with an electric trimmer
In this article, we will describe in detail the procedure of how to remove the grass trimmer spool. The step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help the beginner and experienced user to remove the element of the system on their own and clean it or replace it with a new one. Before you remove the grass trimmer spool, it is imperatively necessary to muffle it. for gasoline models or turn off the power. for electric trimmers. We will demonstrate one traditional disassembly scheme, but different models of trimmers may have different ways of attaching the spool to the tool. With your own hands you can not only remove the old sample coil, but also change it for a new one, if the need arises. So, a step-by-step scenario:
- Unplug the tool or turn off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove the cap of the coil that holds in place the coil spring.
- Pressing the catches located symmetrically on both sides with one hand while the other hand gently lifts off the cover.
- Look for the hole in the gearbox shell on the side or top and align it with the hole in the hub of the shaft.
- Using a hexagon socket wrench or a metal rod put it through the gearbox socket to prevent the possible turning of the shaft.
- Remove the mowing bobbin, on which a line for the trimmer is wound.
- In the depth you will see a slightly sunk screw. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips-head or slotted screwdriver.
- Hold the head body with one hand and unscrew the screw with the other, counterclockwise.
- Slightly rocking. remove the mowing head. Even if it is a little bit stuck, we gently apply more force and with the same shaking. remove it. Often the movements are made in the hand of the clock, but there are also spools that are unscrewed in the other direction.
- Assembly takes place in the opposite sequence.
It is necessary to remove the bobbin when it is damaged, when the line is wound (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate choice of tackle), as well as when you need to wind a new cord on a new spool or replace the cutting tackle. The “KosiKosa” store will always offer you an inexpensive reel for grass trimmer.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with the working arrangement of the motor and spool in the bottom, as a rule, have side keys on both sides of the reel. Pressing them simultaneously unscrews the top part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line, while the bottom part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on level, smooth ground so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife usually have a reel with a special wingnut: in such designs one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing reel on the boom wingnut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the option of a straight blade (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the bobbin, insert a screwdriver or other suitable object into this hole and slowly rotate it so that the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is secured. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (with the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with latches press the latches-fixators and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
How to change a line for a trimmer on a trimmer
Below we’ve provided step-by-step instructions for replacing your grass trimmer’s filament.
The first thing to do is to disconnect the tool from the mains and turn off the motor. Next, you need to remove the grass trimmer head. This can be done by using a simple screwdriver dropping it into the hole in the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew it
Unscrewing is usually clockwise, but different models have different mechanisms, so you may have to twist in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason you can not understand, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it
The second one is. After removing the mowing head you need to open it. This can be done through the clamps, which are opposite each other. Clicking on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out of it the spool, on which the line for the trimmer is reeled. Once you take it out you can tell which type it is. There are one section and two section bobbins
Let’s take apart how to thread the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool in two ways
So, option one. we charge the line for the trimmer in the one-section spool. Prepared piece of thread is folded in half and slipped into the bobbin. Then, begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. At the end of the winding don’t forget to make sure that the different ends of the thread look in different directions
New! How to Re-Spool the Dewalt DCST920 20V Max Cordless String Weed Trimmer!
Option two. winding the line with a two-section spool. Previously prepared thread is divided into two parts, and the ends of it, should be fixed: this should be done by placing them in special mounts
Winding is carried out as in the first case. by the arrow indicated on the bobbin. The two pieces should be wound so that they do not overlap. Next, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and spun on opposite sides
The spring is then inserted into the spool, and the whole thing is placed into the mowing head. Putting the spool in the weed trimmer, you need to carefully hold the spring in parallel, inserting the line for the trimmer in the slots in the head of the brushcutter. And finally, this just needs to be secured with the final part, which is the cover.
After you have threaded the grass trimmer, it needs to be checked. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you made a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, and even better, if you watch the video how to install the line for the trimmer on the spool in the trimmer.
How to get the trimmer line out of the grass trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to remove the remains of the old fishing line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video you can find online on how to remove the thread from a grass trimmer reel will help solve this issue
You need to disassemble the mowing head
Difficult ? Of course not. But if you still have doubts that you for some reason you can not do it, then of course find and watch the video how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the spool of a brushcutter.
Hastily completed disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the design of the bobbin and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of actions.
READ How to use the Gasoline Grass Trimmer
The simplest option and the easiest sequence of operations:
- The size of the reel and the length of the unique factory winding determine the recommended line length for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted through the locking technological hole on the inside of the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the turn of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually on the inside of the reel an arrow marks the side in which the winding is carried out.
- A small part of the line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a special groove on the inside of the bobbin, created to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working order.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The halves of the bobbin are assembled and placed on the trimmer’s boom.
In this type of bobbins, you should find the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
How to wind a trimmer line onto a grass trimmer reel
Threading fishing line into the tool spool, at first glance, is not a simple matter. But just study this process carefully. and afterwards all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
To find out how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of different types of trimmer reels, so they apply to any tool.
- The fishing line reel is the lower extremity of the grass trimmer. The first thing to do, of course, is to remove the head from the instrument. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the spool is attached. It must be secured in such a way that it does not rotate. The easiest way to do this is to place a peculiar stupor (preferably metal) between the threads of the shaft through a special hole. When the shaft is locked in place, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage you must remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, first locate the catch on the bobbin case. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, it is necessary to turn the head cover clockwise. Then remove the cover and pull out the bobbin.
- Between the bobbin and the head is a tight spring. It should be temporarily set aside so it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the stage of winding the fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of the old line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- From the pre-prepared roll of new fishing line it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin should be within arm’s reach.
At this point actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
The first method of winding the line
The right amount of line is cut. Now it is necessary to look closely at the bobbin to understand what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the bobbin is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. The first type has a split edge that does not close into a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the bobbin belongs to.
- Prepared earlier six-meter segment should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the folded point into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can begin winding the thread. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, the thread must be held so that it is not twisted and the upper half is winded to the top half of the spool and the lower half to the bottom half. At each half about fifteen centimeters from the end should be left free.
- There are small notches (or slots) in the top edge of the bobbin to hold the consumables in place. Insert the ends of the thread into the notches so that they are locked one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material in the tool. the ends, fixed on the bobbin, must be slipped into the appropriate holes in the head of the grass trimmer.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. All that remains now is to reassemble the head as one piece. The spring is gently placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- Pull the loose ends of the thread further out. To do this, pull the ends of the consumables one at a time so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. Check that the cutting element is removed from the thread-holding grooves by pulling the threads out so that they can exit through the head holes without hindrance.
- Pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. Screw the cover onto the head so all the slots in the housings are aligned and the bobbin remains clamped between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is threaded into the reel. The grass trimmer is ready to work.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared six metre long piece needs to be bent exactly in the middle and cut. This produces two lengths of the same length.
- At one end of each piece you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix for a while so that the “hook” does not unravel.
- Then you should take one length of the bobbin. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now we can proceed to the key step. the winding. The direction in which to wind the thread is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. Do not wind the line all the way to the tip, about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small notches (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable material. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The upper part of the bobbin is threaded. Now it’s necessary to do the same procedure with the bottom part. The second section of thread is taken. “Hook” is slipped into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that it is possible to begin to reel in a fishing line for the trimmer (within the bottom section). And this piece of thread must also be left free about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first section is inserted.
Learning how to correctly wind the line for the trimmer on the spool grass trimmer and lawn mower installation instructions
Owners of private homes know how necessary is such a type of tool as a grass trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, and they differ in the design of the power units.
For mowing grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a line for the trimmer is used as a cutting device.
This consumable material wears out during use, so how to wind the grass trimmer reel, we will consider in detail in the article.
What you need to know about the line on the grass trimmer
The fishing line is called the consumable material, which consists of nylon, and serves as a cutting device.
The higher the power, the thicker the cutting attachments are, the more powerful they are and the more important their cutting power is.
This material has different thickness, which depends on its application on the corresponding tools electric low-power (1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 watts (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline grass trimmers with brushcutters (2.4 to 3.2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the thicker the cutting attachment must be. This affects not only the quality of grass mowing, but also the service life of the material.
If you’re wondering how to rewind a grass trimmer reel, then it’s time to change your tool.
With the onset of spring, this issue is becoming more and more in demand, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the fishing line in the grass trimmer reel.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the fishing line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, it is necessary to remove it from there. The reel or spool is a device inside the mowing head, the reel or the drum.
There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of replacing the line on the spool is the same in all.
Dewalt string trimmer line replacement SUPER Easy you can do it 20V or 40V
The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel of fishing line out of it.
This is interesting! You can replace the fishing line directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technique is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on a trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it of dirt. Grasp the two fingers of one hand on the cover’s catches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically located. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the spool of fishing line from the shaft of the reel. The cover is mounted loose on the shaft and can therefore be removed with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fastened with a screw, which should be unscrewed with a screwdriver with a suitable tip or a bit
- To unscrew it, hold the base of the drum with one hand and use a counterclockwise screwdriver to unscrew it
- Dismounting can then commence. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your might, but by rocking it slightly to the sides, to slowly disengage it from the metal shaft, on which the drum is planted
- When reassembling, the screw head must fit into the square shaped slots
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, it is not necessary to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider these nuances when disassembling:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible to unscrew it
- If the screw has a square shaped head, a screwdriver or suitable size should be selected for unscrewing to prevent the facets on the head from sticking
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be treated with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have worn off, you can use special tongs to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require prior disassembly. To disassemble them, you should take hold of it, and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic).
Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. On the head of the manual type.
The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of a semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- There is a spool inside the head and it is mounted on slits preventing it from moving freely
- A spring acts on the reel, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually between 1 and 4 meters
- During work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the splines. The line for the trimmer is wound from the reel, increasing in length
- When the correct amount of line has been fed out, release the clamping force and continue mowing
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and the engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the point at which the majority of owners of special tools cause difficulties.
How to choose a line for a trimmer for grass
The grass trimmer bought in the store is already ready to work. a standard kapron fishing line is tucked into it. It cuts grass, but it does the job poorly. it quickly fails and only mows young, thin plants. Old grass and weeds with hardened stems it doesn’t cut at all or cuts with difficulty, quickly wearing out. It lasts for a short time, after which it is necessary to replace the line for the trimmer in the trimmer.
It is not recommended to use fishing line for the trimmer, it is better to take a special thread with a core of fiberglass. It is sold in construction stores. Opt for the option that has a square or triangle cross-section. their sharp edges will work like knives.
Grass trimmer line consumption will be 2 to 3 times less when using faceted and reinforced consumables, the same amount of performance will increase compared to round and non-glass fiber reinforced lines.
Buy material with a diameter no smaller than the diameter recommended by the manufacturer. If you do not know the diameter, look at the size of the holes in the outer casing of the mowing head: the diameter of the line should be just under the hole so that it can pass through freely.
Buy enough cutting filament (for 2-3 changes), try to buy different versions to see which one works best.
Once you know how much material you need for one winding, be guided in the length of the line for the next purchases so that no pieces are too short for winding.
To replace the fishing line on a mechanical mower with your own hands, you need to disassemble the mowing head and take out the spool, on which the working thread is wound.
Preparing to change the filament
Before changing the fishing line, you must pull out and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a cover, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or muffle the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft, to which it is attached.
- Under the cover there is a bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the body (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the housing, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, it is necessary, holding the body, by rocking movements remove the coil from the gearbox shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The head of the spool is put on the reducer shaft. In order to disconnect it, you need to lock this shaft. Usually in scythes, for example, “Champion” or “STIHL” brand, a hole is made for this purpose, in which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a fixed position, you need, holding the body, start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the owner’s manual or on the bobbin itself, it usually has this kind of information on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the bobbin runs smoothly, it can be used for work.
Just a side note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not greater than the diameter of the sides. If the cord protrudes over the edges, it will not be possible to hide the coil in the shroud.
Typical malfunctions and troubleshooting
Naturally, in the process of operation the owners of trimmers are faced with one or another failure of mowing heads. Most often they are associated with certain difficulties in pulling (lengthening) the cutting cord out of the reel. The most common causes of no line feed are that the line “bites” between the coils, or is sticking together.
If the stringline does not feed
In this case, the cause of the defect is incorrect winding of the cutting cords. the line for a trimmer can be wound with insufficient tension, which contributes to the intersection of coils with each other and to the entanglement of the string. As the spool rotates, the cutting filament is being drawn in by the centrifugal force produced, which in turn traps the free end of the line between the coils. To correct this fault, you must remove the spool, disassemble it and rewind the string so that the coils are laid in even rows close to each other.
If the line is sticking
The line coils sticking together directly inside the mowing head can be caused:
Tip ! To prevent the cord from sticking inside the mowing head, experts recommend applying a thin layer of silicone grease on the surface of the string after inserting it in the spool. In addition, it is better not to use fishing line for the trimmer of unknown manufacturers.
If the user still could not avoid the adhesion of the fishing line, then to repair the grass trimmer reel should be removed and replace the existing cord with a better quality.
If the line is too thin
When using semi-automatic mowing heads, the user may experience faster consumption of the line because the line is lengthening by itself. This is usually caused by a slackening of the spring on the inside of the spool. This can be corrected by placing washers under the spring.
If the spool does not spin
Failure of a semi-automatic grass trimmer reel can also be caused by frequent collision of its head with hard objects (dry branches, soil, stones, etc.).). In this situation, the line is slightly stretched and then rapidly retracted inside the bobbin. The friction heats up the cord, which can cause it to stick to each other. In order to eliminate the defect, the line has to be rewound.
If the line is fed in spontaneously
Unintentional lengthening of the line and subsequent cutting off of the line ends may be caused by improper assembly of the head after changing the cutting filament. Inexperienced users often forget to install the pressure spring inside the mowing head causing premature activation of the line feed mechanism.
Disassembling the mowing head
Proceeding to repair the head of the grass trimmer, the owner must protect himself from injury if the engine is accidentally started, for which it is imperative to completely de-energize the electric garden tool or to shut down the engine of the brushcutter. Most often, the owner of the grass trimmer is faced with the need to replace the cutting cord. This process begins after the head has been removed from the shaft. This must be done carefully to avoid damaging it.
Important! The gearbox shaft of the grass trimmer has a left-hand thread at the end, so the mowing head can be unscrewed clockwise when removing.
Dismantle the spool in the following order:
- After aligning the holes on the axle and the washer, fix the mower shaft firmly with a screwdriver or a metal bar;
- Unscrew the actuator unit by turning its housing clockwise.
Having removed the mowing head, proceed to its disassembly, for which you need to carefully open the cover, which is often attached by specially provided plastic locks. To do this, press the edge of the cover and at the same time push the latch into the housing.
Attention ! If the grass trimmer is equipped with a semi-automatic head with a button at the bottom, you must be very careful when opening it. when you remove the cover, the clamping spring may come out and get lost.
Charging the string in the bobbin
To charge the line for the trimmer correctly, it is necessary to act according to the instruction manual supplied with the trimmer. As a rule, carry out this operation as follows:
- cut the required amount of cord and fold it in half;
- the resulting loop is inserted into one of the specially provided slots (holes) in the bobbin;
- Pulling line for the trimmer, several times turn the bobbin counterclockwise, with the coils of cord should be stacked tightly (one to the other), avoiding overlaps;
- Having finished winding, leave the ends of the line free (about 20 cm), which fix in the grooves available on the sides of the bobbin;
- install the mechanism in its place, for which it must be assembled in reverse order, returning all the existing parts (spring, washers, etc.) to their original position.), and place the spool with the string in the head housing;
- the free ends of the cord are passed through the available eyelets (holes), and then close the body with a cover, which is fixed with latches.
At this point, charging the mowing head with cord can be considered complete. Screw the spool onto the shaft of the grass trimmer, fixing it firmly in place beforehand. How to do it is described above. To check the working order of the mowing head you can mow a small area of lawn.
Tip! In cases where the owner of a grass trimmer prefers to replace the failed head with a new one, experts recommend avoiding the purchase of cheap non-original spools brought from China.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for the trimmer
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or line for the trimmer in the reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head users simply wreck the mowing head without realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended to read the step-by-step instructions given below.
- Before tucking the trimmer line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that can occur if you accidentally start the cutting tool’s rotation.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.