Problems in the lubrication system and troubleshooting
Your chain saw also needs repair if there is a problem with the lubrication system. Most of the time there is a lack of oil, as is evident by the chain’s apparent dryness, or if there is oil leakage.
Stihl ms 180 chainsaw piston change (quick view)
Lubricant is either poorly or not at all supplied to the chain, as a rule, due to clogged or completely clogged oil inlet ducts. Dismantling the STIHL 180 chain saw. Part 2, video. To locate where the oil flow is blocked, carefully inspect the oil hose and its connection points. It is also essential to have the oil filter cleaned.
If oil leaks, the oil ducts or hoses are leaking. Piston change is generally caused by mechanical damage. Most often, the unusable hose is removed and a new one is put in its place. But sometimes a less radical way is used, treating the damaged hose with an appropriate sealant.
STIHL chain saws can be repaired by your own efforts thanks to their relative simplicity and the similarity in principle of their powertrain to many other internal combustion engines. It can be done in the comfort of your own home without relying on a professional technician.
The main faults on the STIHL ms 180 chain saw are related to the piston group. Let’s take a look at the main reasons why the piston needs to be replaced. We will give the description of piston and algorithm of its replacement.
Do it yourself when replacing a STIHL 180 piston
The piston is the main cause of STIHL ms 180 chain saw malfunctions. Here are the main reasons why the piston needs to be replaced. We will give the characteristics of the piston and the algorithm of its replacement.
When to replace the piston
There are many reasons why the piston needs to be replaced, but it can also be completely driven by the piston, but they can all be divided into natural and those resulting from improper use. Naturally, this is wear and tear as a result of prolonged use of the STIHL chain saw 180.
CPG should be diagnosed if the STIHL ms 180 loses power suddenly or does not start until the tool starter is cranked. If the starter turns but the saw does not start, a spark is observed and fuel is flowing properly into the cylinder, the compression in the engine should be measured.
If there is a suspected problem with the processor, we recommend that you contact a service center authorized by the manufacturer, because only there they can accurately diagnose the malfunction without a complete analysis and, if necessary, perform a quality repair.
9,5. 11 atm. It is considered normal for a STIHL chain saw to regularly start and deliver maximum power, if the compression is lower, the piston-cylinder group is likely to be affected or worn out. In any case, if the compression is reduced for further diagnosis it is necessary to completely disassemble the dust.
You can remove the muffler and visually inspect the visible part of the piston to determine if there is a piston knob and piston ring breakage, and the rings can be checked for elasticity by pressing on them with a small screwdriver. There will be little movement on the working rings, a piston ring with a defect or pinched will not go.
STIHL 180 chain saw piston group description
On the STIHL 180 chain saw the piston group diameter is 38 mm. The size of the chainsaw CPG is determined by the diameter of the piston, the cylinder is slightly larger. The MS 180 CPG is delivered with a piston pin, two piston rings and two clips.
The inside of the cylinder should be perfectly ground and have a glossy shine, which you should consider when buying a spare CPG for STIHL chain saws ms. If there is damage to the inside of the cylinder, there is no need to install such a cylinder.
Why the STIHL chain saw does not start after replacing the piston
In case the saw doesn‘t start after replacing the piston, it is necessary to check the fuel supply to the chamber, as well as to diagnose the ignition system. Very often when installing the control lever on the chainsaw, craftsmen forget to connect the wires coming from the ignition coil, as a result of which the spark is lost and the saw does not start.
The problem may also be a clogged fuel hose or when no fuel hose is connected at all. Of course, there may be many reasons, but it is worth remembering that if all the work on replacing the piston carried out correctly, the tool should run without any problems and normally work.
Stihl MS 180c Cylinder and Piston Replacement Diagnosis and Repair
Useful tips from Kosi Kosa specialists
The procedure of how to remove the clutch on a chainsaw. specialists KosiKosa described step by step. A quality video is also included in the article, so that the user of the tool can present all the nuances in detail. Pay attention to how to stop the piston, what position it should be in so that other parts and your actions will not set it in motion. It is also important not to provoke the starter and not to break it during the installation of the new clutch and the removal of the old element.
In addition to the basic “clutch replacement” process, service and specialty store specialists will give some important tips in the overall scheme of the procedure:
- when stopping the piston, you need to make sure that it passes the blowdown windows and the carburetor windows before reaching the bottom dead center. The piston rests on the rope (or rope), and the latter did not hit, for example, in the windows of the exhaust;
- Remember for yourself that all clutches have left-hand threads. It does not matter if the saw model is professional or domestic sample in front of you;
- Before you remove the clutch (aka clutch drum), it is worth wiping off the dust and dirt wherever you remove the parts, which may later play into your hands;
- Before threading the rope or rope with knots into the piston area, it must first be moved to the upper dead center position, then slightly lowered;
- between clutch and drive sprocket cup. some models have a washer part. After disassembly, it must be installed in the same position as it was. It is often the place between the cup and the engine;
- some models of chain saws have a special spring in the oil pump actuator. This is the part that transmits the rotation from the star to the oil pump. If it is not installed correctly, the oil pump will not supply lubrication to the chain and the saw headset;
- it is important to remove the rope with knots or thick rope after the work, and in their context, do not forget to leave part of the element outside;
- notice that in Husqvarna saws there is only one clutch spring and two weights attached to it. The Stihl already has three springs and three weights. The latter are also called sectors. This should be taken into account when replacing the part, as the opposite will not perform its functions, or the saw will not start at all.
The most important general advice is to buy original parts and spare parts and not to experiment, even if foreign-made parts seem to fit. The clutch works in conjunction with other important chainsaw systems, and their breakdown will not benefit you. After all, you can always order a replacement part at our website!
STIHL 180 chain saw piston group description
On the STIHL 180 chain saw the piston group has a cross section of 30 mm. The size of the gasoline chainsaw cylinder is determined by the cross-section of the piston, the cylinder a little bit difficult. STIHL 180 chain saw repair chain with pobedite in the mass of its reviews on STIHL saws. The standard MS 100 eighty came with a piston pin, 2 piston rings and 2 retaining rings.
The inner surface of the cylinder should become completely polished not have a glossy shine, where to direct the attention in the purchase of a spare cylinder for STIHL chain saw ms. If there is damage on the inside of the cylinder, do not install such a cylinder.
In the next step, the upper cover of the housing is removed and the 4 screws that secure the starter motor are loosened, after which the oil tank and fuel reservoir covers must be removed. The starter is easy enough to remove and there should be no problems.
After removing the starter motor, the interior of the chainsaw should be cleaned, i.e. к. there is usually a large amount of compressed fine sawdust on the housing under the starter.
How to remove a chainsaw clutch: detailed report
The clutch repair process consists of the following steps:
- Pull out the chain set, air filter covers and the clutch itself;
- fix crankshaft. for this purpose it is quite easy to unscrew the ignition cut;
- unscrew the clutch with a special key in a strong clockwise or counterclockwise motion (different models of saws can have both left and right threads). The chainsaw will usually come with a tool to remove the clutch
- proceed to disconnect the drum and sprocket;
- If upon examining the clutch one or more cracked springs were found (there may be more than one, for example, for Husqvarna chain saws. Three units). you need to replace the broken spring with a new one;
- Assemble the clutch to the chainsaw, put it in place, and screw. Remember that the crankshaft must be immobilized;
- reattach the removed parts to the saw in reverse order for disassembly;
- lock the clutch. move the auxiliary brake handle forward, start the unit and carefully remove the overrun brake.
READ STIHL chain saw stalls when throttle is depressed
In the event that the equipment does not want to start at all, the problem may lie in the ignition system or the starter mechanism. If everything is fine with the starter, you need to inspect the condition of the spark plug, which should be unscrewed beforehand.
- Particular attention should be paid to the electrodes, the surface of which may be covered with plaque. If you find a reddish-brown deposit, it indicates that the entire starting system is defective.
- If the ignition functions stably and properly, but the chainsaw does not work properly, then the malfunction may have to do with an excess of air-fuel mixture. In such a case, it is necessary to clean the jets and adjust the carburetor.
- If you find carbon deposits on the plug, you should think about using better quality gasoline. Another reason is incorrect carburetor operation.
To get rid of the problem, it is necessary:
- Remove the carburetor and check it;
- clean it and adjust it;
- Change the fuel;
- check the carburetor and put it back.
Remember that a carburetor is a unit with a rather complex configuration. Therefore, if you need to disassemble or repair it, it is better to use the services of experienced professionals.
Do not forget that you should only use the fuel for the gasoline-powered saw that is stated in the instruction manual of the equipment. Using low-quality fuel can get you into all kinds of trouble.
If you have lost the packing box of your equipment and you need to get the manual, you can use the Internet to do this. Just enter STIHL Instruction manual STIHL 180 chainsaw into any search engine and download the desired document on your PC.
Using this information you can repair your STIHL 180 chain saw yourself.
The STIHL chainsaw 180 has proven itself on the construction market. This hand-held tool has a power output of 1400 W and a motor volume of 31 cc. cm. The saw chain is 350 mm long and spins more than 2 thousand times when idling. Its popularity among consumers is also due to the acceptable cost of the tool. But use of the STIHL chain saw can sometimes give rise to malfunctions. Repair is not cheap, so dozens of mechanics and service centers do it yourself.
STIHL 180 self-replacing the piston with your own hands video
The piston is the main cause of malfunctions in the STIHL chain saw ms 180. Let’s look at the main reasons why the piston needs to be replaced. We will give you the specifications of the piston and how it needs to be replaced.
When to change the piston
There are many reasons why the piston needs to be replaced, but it can also be completely driven by the piston, but these can all be divided into natural causes and those resulting from improper use. Naturally, it is wear and tear as a result of prolonged use of the STIHL chain saw 180.
The CPG should be diagnosed if the STIHL ms 180 suddenly loses power or does not start until the tool’s starter. If the starter motor is turning but the saw does not start, there is a spark and the fuel is flowing correctly into the cylinder, the compression in the engine should be measured.
Schimb set motor Stihl ms 180 ⚙️
If a problem with the processor is suspected, it is advisable to contact a service center authorized by the manufacturer, as only there they can accurately diagnose the malfunction without a complete analysis and, if necessary, perform a quality repair.
9,5. 11 atm. It is normal for a STIHL chain saw to start and deliver peak power on a regular basis. If compression is low, the piston-cylinder group is likely to be affected or subject to high levels of wear. In any case, if compression is reduced, the dust must be completely disassembled for further diagnosis.
You can remove the muffler and visually inspect the visible part of the piston to determine if there is a piston crank and piston ring breakage, and the rings can be checked for elasticity by pushing on them with a small screwdriver. There will be little movement on the working rings, a piston ring with a defect or pinch will not go.