Types of circular saws and their features
A circular saw will be an indispensable aid for anyone working with woodworking materials. Before you choose the right tool, you need to understand the varieties of circular saws, as well as the peculiarities of their application.
- Stationary saws are also called table saws because they are designed for sawing wooden beams, cutting boards lengthwise and crosswise, as well as cutting fiberboard, plywood, and other types of production materials. Stationary saws are based on a base in the form of a frame. The outside surface is a flat table, in the rectangular hole of which there is a circle with teeth. These types of circular saws are intended for cutting boards and other sheet materials. During the sawing process the material to be machined is moved. The advantages of the devices in question are their low vibration level, high precision of the cutting line, as well as strictness of the settings. The disadvantages include their heavy weight, which makes such tools immobile, and complicates the process of their transportation and use. Steel or cast iron is used to make the bed, which affects the high strength of the resulting instrument. Another disadvantage that the devices in question have is the impossibility of sawing material at different angles, as the disc allows you to saw only in a strictly straight direction
- Manual is powered by an electric pull, and is a mobile cutting tool that allows you to process wood, plastic, and even minerals. It is possible to make a stationary device from a circular saw of mobile type by attaching the device to the base. Manual circular saws are very popular, because of their advantages. affordable price, easy use, possibility of working different types of materials and high efficiency
- The professional circular saw is a separate type of cutting tool, which belongs to the category of not portable. This is because the saws have a high power output, which is important for machining materials of varying degrees of hardness. Professional-type circular saws are equipped with additional devices that represent a soft start. Soft start eliminates vibration and increases the quality and accuracy of the cut. The blade speed can be changed by the sawmill operator. This option is used to match the blade speed to the hardness of the wood to be sawed. For sawing soft wood, it is necessary to set a low speed, while for hard wood, the maximum spinning speed of the disc is selected. An additional option to prevent overheating eliminates the possibility of the motor temperature rising to critical levels where winding burnout can occur. In the design of the devices in question, the following functions are also used: quick stop of the disk, the option to lock the disk, as well as the outlet for the discharge of chips, to which an industrial vacuum cleaner can be connected
- Domestic is the simplest kind of circular saws, which are designed for household chores. The main feature of household tools is that they are not intended for continuous operation without a break. If this recommendation is not taken into account, then the tool will fail very quickly as a result. This is due to the fact that low quality materials and parts are used for domestic appliances. In the case of prolonged use of the circular saw, they will heat up quickly and wear out. The main advantage of the considered tools is that they are relatively inexpensive, and if necessary, they can be purchased in the online store Cylinder
- Plunge circular saw is designed to solve such a problem as poor cutting precision, which is present when using conventional devices. It is impossible to talk about high precision cutting with a circular saw, which is due to the lack of ability to control the position of the disc. Based on this disadvantage of the conventional circular saw, the plunge-cutters were developed. The principle of their operation is that the blade is completely covered by a protective cover when it is not in use. Disc starts to drop only after the tool is started. Using plunge-cutters makes it possible to repair floorboards locally, as well as to cut the necessary openings in the tabletop. High accuracy of cut up to 1 mm is provided in the construction of the device. Cutting depth under right angles of 90 degrees can reach from 10 to 75 mm. In order to avoid chipping, when working with laminate surfaces it is necessary to make a notch at full depth. Among the advantages of these tools are high machining accuracy, multifunctionality, as well as the ability to perform not only longitudinal but also cross cutting. Of the disadvantages it is necessary to allocate a high cost compared to conventional models, as well as difficulties in cutting parts with a small width. Minimal size of such parts is limited by the size of the tool’s supporting side
- Rechargeable all kinds of devices, which are presented above, belong to the category of mains. This means that the work of the electric motor is carried out by connecting the tool to the 220V network. Connected to the 220V network provides high power of the device, as well as uninterrupted operation. A separate category of devices operating from an autonomous power supply cordless circular saws. The lack of a cord to connect to the network is one of the important advantages of the tool. The work of the electric motor is connected to an autonomous battery, through which the device is considered mobile. However, the use of self-contained sources has its own disadvantages, which appear in the form of a short working interval of 15 to 50 minutes. After a full discharge of the battery, the device needs to be recharged, which takes from 2 to 4 hours. Specialists highlight some advantages of cordless saws mobility, as well as the ability to work away from the power source. Such tools are more expensive than conventional circular saws, and they work on a charged battery for no more than an hour, which is a significant disadvantage
After becoming acquainted with the varieties of circular saws, it is necessary to draw the appropriate conclusion about the need to purchase these or those tools. Many people have to think for a long time to choose the right kind of device, while others buy without thinking, after which they realize that this kind of device is the least suitable for the planned work.
Classification of Circular Saws
Circular saws have a wide functionality of work, which determines the existence of different types of modifications of this tool. They can be distinguished by classifying them according to certain characteristics.
By design features
There are two varieties of this device, denoted by the technological features of the work:
- Table or stationary electric circular saw is intended for big volumes of work, and is most often used in production. This saw is commonly referred to as a professional tool. Sawing body is fixed in a special size cast frame, capable of withstanding the weight of large logs of timber.
- Manual electric circular saw is characterized as a mobile device, capable of cutting material in different planes. It is easy to operate, but has a small power.
By nature of power supply
There are two ways of generating and storing the electrical energy required to drive the circular saw mechanism:
- Electric mains. The mains-powered models have a high motor power of 4000 W, so they require special preparation of the mains.
- Battery. In such models, power is derived from a battery attached to the tool body. They have a low power rating and require frequent recharging, but are more maneuverable, so they are suitable for home use.
Intensity of work performed by the circular saw is considered to be the main classification characteristic. Their power, the type of power supply, dimensions and additional features are dependent on this indicator.
If your saw is equipped with a stationary mounting option, this will greatly expand the functionality of your power tool.
Saw with this device includes the following accessories for stationary installation:
- Clamps that secure the saw to the workbench;
- Plate. Responsible for securing the guard;
- Push-button clamp. The device allows you to lock the saw’s activation button in the on position.
If the plates are too small to be safely placed on trestles, then you must place a large wooden plaque that says. As an alternative, simply move to two thick squares. If you want to settle for more than one plate, you can easily stack them separated by wood strips. Then you can see through layer after layer. The prerequisite is, of course, the correct depth of cut setting on the plunge saw.
When using a guide for the first time, then usually the guide edge of the plastic must be cut there. This ensures that the leading edge of the rail later represents the actual cutting edge of the circular saw blade. The first step in almost every sawing of the supporting straight edge. For example, if you buy a whole sheet of plywood, the edges are often curved or full of quirks. Therefore, it is always advisable to first separate a narrow strip of 1-2 cm with a circular saw.
A handsaw is turned into a stationary saw with a few simple steps.
- Attach the feet first. Remove the plug bolts, and in their place install the bolts designed to mount the legs.
- Secure the plate to hold the guard in place. Make sure the blade is securely fastened in the housing.
- Clamps secure the saw to the workbench. This is done by inserting the appropriate hooks into the mounting holes.
- Upside-down mounting is not available on all models. Only tools designed specifically for this purpose can be mounted in this manner.
- If tools that are not designed to be mounted upside down are secured in this way, the saw blade can jam, overloading the saw’s engine.
- Read the instruction manual carefully to verify that your saw can be mounted in one way or another.
Ability to work on metal
With this cut, it is only important that the guide is long enough to trace the entire length at one time. This ensures that you have a really straight edge. Now you have a straight edge that can serve as the base for all the other stops of the rail. Most guide rails have a base with a strip of foam rubber. It ensures that the guide rail with the plunge saw attached doesn’t slide so easily. The prerequisite, of course, is that the board lies flat. no rocking or sliding. Then it doesn’t matter if the board wobbles or bends a little. the cut with the dive saw is always exactly in the right place. The standard task is to cut the plate with a parallel cut. With a clean support edge, this is not a problem.
The main technical features
To understand how to choose a circular saw, you need to know the range of features and their effect on the cutting process. We present in the table the basic parameters and possibilities of a circular saw, as well as recommendations for the assignment.
Available in 600-2000 watts. The higher, the heavier the tool, but it can cope with denser materials, work faster, longer do not warm up under load. For occasional use at the cottage, 800-1200 watts is enough.
Affects ease of lifting, cutting vertical surfaces. If you will often work on the roof, choose a model of 4-5 kg.
RPM range is 3000-6000 rpm. Higher speeds produce cleaner cuts, less burrs, no need for thorough sanding. For furniture making in the home workshop a speed of 5000 rpm or more is needed. For rough cuts on boards, this setting affects speed only.
Can be 160-230mm. Impact on cutting depth of 45-85 mm. The biggest models have a cutting depth of up to 140 mm at a time on one side of the circular saw. The choice depends on the cross section of the material to be processed.
Available in wood, stone and granite. Monolithic and carbide teeth. The first bent or straight. Straight ones are good for longitudinal and cross cuts of all types of wood. Bent for soft wood. Carbide for wood and stone, lasts longer but costs more.
Beyond 90º, Some models are able to change the position of the saw blade by up to 45º. It’s good for making mitigating cuts to connect parts at a 90-degree angle. Needed when assembling boxes, furniture, wooden greenhouses, windows, etc.
Needed when changing sawing accessories. Without it, two keys are usually used. one to hold the shaft and the other to turn the nut. Advanced models have a pushbutton for locking the spindle. It is more convenient (no wrench required) and faster. Handy for frequently changing circular saw blades of different diameters or for transition from sawing stone to plank cutting.
Optional safety button. Without pressing it, pulling the trigger does not start the wheel rotation. Increases safety.
When cutting hard materials the rotational speed decreases, productivity is reduced and the quality of the cut suffers. With constant speed the electronic system senses by itself the load level, ensures compliance with the set parameters.
The motor winding gets hot during long periods of work. This leads to melted wires, short circuits. With protection, the saw shuts off earlier, which prolongs its use without breakage.
Starts the wheel spinning at low speed, gradually picking up speed. Reduces strain on the mains due to the lack of high starting currents, helps you accurately point the tool to the cutting line.
How Safe is a Sawstop Saw?. Never Before Seen 19,000 FPS HD Slow-Mo Video
How to use the circular saw: secrets and tips
Learning how to use your circular saw safely and efficiently gives you a useful and interesting hobby. The circular saw is a sophisticated and efficient tool that will help you create a range of beautiful products, from shelves to artwork. For beginners, the circular saw may seem more complicated and less convenient than the jigsaw, but don’t worry! We can help you learn how to cut with confidence, safety and enjoy your skills.
First, let’s look at what a circular saw is. It is actually a blade with a guard around it, driven by a motor that creates a circular motion to cut. Generally speaking, circular saws can be divided into two types: side and screw saws. Lateral mechanism has a compact shape, and the motor is located along the blade.
Because of its smaller size, this type of saw is less powerful than larger models. For the same reason it is less durable, so if you choose a tool for intensive use, this is not the type you need. Buy a side mechanism in case you need a light and simple tool for occasional use.
The worm saw is larger and the motor is located behind the blade. This saw can handle hard materials without overheating. Overheating should be avoided for safety reasons: when the saw slows down during hard work and gets hot, the blade quickly dulls and the quality of the cut is drastically reduced. After all, the sheet can kick and hurt you.
Types of circular saws
For household needs, manual versions of transverse, longitudinal and oblique cuts are quite suitable. They are maneuverable, lightweight and relatively inexpensive.
A number of models allow you to trim not only the buttocks, but anywhere, thanks to a special plunge function. Because of the ability to tilt relative to the plate, these models saw the material at different angles.
The main plate of this tool is made by punching (suitable for household purposes) or casting (for professional tools).
For more work, you will need a stationary circular saw with a box frame. They have been used before. Modern models are very compactly designed so that they can be placed on work surfaces, such as desk chairs.
Professionals need more massive tools that are placed directly on the floor of the room. They are able to influence the depth of cut thanks to a sliding work table. The drive remains stationary during work. This greatly expands the possibilities of the circular saw.
If the work is often performed with a variable load, the combination versions are suitable. They differ from handhelds in that they have special mounts in the body, allowing them to work stationary on any horizontal surface. In this case, the saw is fixed with the blade up.
Setting up the circular saw. step by step instructions with photos
The main purpose of the circular saw is to cut various materials: board, soft metal, laminate, timber, drywall, etc.
One very important rule should be taken into account. despite the power of this device it is forbidden to work with steel and other ferrous metals. The circular saw is indispensable when building with your own hands. It is also often used for home remodeling.
If you have decided to put in your apartment laminate, panelize the walls of the balcony, repair the floors or ceilings with your own hands, then keep in mind that without a circular saw you can not do without. It can be used to achieve the most accurate and precise cuts. For large sawing jobs, an electric jigsaw is not appropriate, and a chainsaw cannot make straight cuts.
Strengths and weaknesses of electric circular saws
The electric circular saw has distinctive advantages over other variants of the tool. The device works at high RPM, which contributes to a significant speed of the disc rotation and performs a quality cut.
Machine design allows you to set precise settings of the workpiece
The machine is designed in such a way that it is safe to use. The saw blade for wood circular saws is equipped with a special blade guard that prevents the risk of injury from sharp blade teeth when the saw is not in use.
Stability is ensured thanks to the firmly built, stationary base. Furthermore the vibration during operation is reduced, resulting in improved quality and precision of the material processed. Despite its overall size and mass setup, the circular saw works quietly and comfortably. This also makes fine-tuning of the circular saw blade possible.
Workpieces longer than 1 m can be machined on the table circular saw. It is also characterized by the wide range of materials that can be processed. The saw can handle wood, chipboard, fiberboard, plywood, plastic, and even soft alloy products. For the latter type of material you will need to use the appropriate disc.
Important! Most stationary models have a dust collector.
The circular saw makes very little noise
The main disadvantage of the stationary circular saw is the high cost of the tool, which is explained by the quality execution of the design and the creation of conditions for its safe use.
Why do I need a circular saw?? The circular saw is a powerful device specially designed for sawing many cubic meters of boards, beams, drywall, laminate, soft metal, etc.п. Such a device will be indispensable in the case when large-scale construction with their own hands is carried out, for example, homestead constructions.
For repairs in the apartment these products can be useful except for cutting laminate flooring, or for sawing panels for wall and ceiling paneling (e.g. on the loggia).
Circular saw’s area of application is limited to making precise and straight cuts. But it will be really neat cuts. Jigsaw, with a significant amount of sawing is not a helper at all, and the chain saw will not make straight cuts.
All circular saws have approximately the same design, but differ in drive power, cutting capacity, cutting thickness, and some additional features that widen the scope of application, increase the safety of the instrument, and make the work easier.
The manual circular saw proper represents a flat base on which is mounted the
Drive with vertically mounted cutting blade,
Categorization by power
Engine power 0.8. 1.2 kW. Material thickness up to 45 mm. Equipped with discs with a diameter of 130 to 160 mm. These models don’t cost much at all. But they are more suitable for rare cutting of uncomplicated material.
Additional useful functions
Among often found and useful additional functions of circular saws it is necessary to note the following.
Immersion into the material to be cut. Very useful for cutting solid boards. Saw blade with this function is able to shift in the vertical plane, so you can not start cutting from the edge, but directly from the middle of the plate.
Powerful saws are equipped with devices for securing to a frame. The saw blade is stationary, but the cutting is done by feeding the material to be cut into the saw blade. This function is very useful if a large volume of cubic metres needs to be cut.
Circular saw blades
Blades are differentiated by the height of tooth, cutting profile geometry, number (frequency of teeth) and other technical parameters. Most often all disks are conditionally divided into two categories:
Wood discs have a positive sharpening angle, i.e.е. their teeth are tilted in the direction of rotation while discs for metal have a negative sharpening angle, the teeth with hardfacing tipped in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation.
there are also discs for special materials, e.g. plastic or laminate.
The selection is generally made according to the following rules.
The more teeth on the blade, the smoother and more accurate the cut. But the material should be soft.
For example, for a neat cut of chipboard or boards, you need a simple circular saw blade with a number of teeth, of which there should be about 100 on the disc. For humpback beams, which are rich in hard knots, the reinforced disc with the minimum of cutting edges (24) is the best choice.) that can handle unforeseen difficulties, but it will not have a smooth cut either.
The size of all discs is always indicated in the same way. The first digit represents the diameter of the disk itself, and the second digit represents the diameter of the hole in the center of the disk, i.e.е. Diameter of the bushing, e.g. 160×30. It is therefore sufficient to know these two figures in order to purchase.
it is worth remembering a simple rule for electromechanical tools that are dangerous in operation.
Saving on quality is not an option when buying a circular saw. It is better to buy a circular saw from a reputable manufacturer, with a guarantee of safety and reliability than to buy a “cheap who knows what” and be exposed to constant repairs and risks of injury.
A look at the circular saws that are currently in demand is shown in the illustration below.
Considerations about which one to choose
A more powerful saw will allow you to feel more confident both with hard material and when cutting large amounts of soft wood. Will do the job quickly on any material. Requires less tension from the user during certain processes. But at the same time
motor watts also entails a significant increase in box compartment withdrawals
Not only that, but the weight of the product increases as well. With a little more than a kilowatt of power in your hands will be a mobile device in the order of 3. 4kg. And if the electric motor power will be a couple of kilowatts, the saw will pull all 7 kg, whether it is necessary to carry such a?
So it remains to think what choice to make a circular saw. will be demanded investment in a semi-professional powerful tool? In most domestic cases, simply put, the circular saw rests on the shelf, enters into battle with floorboards, laminate and logs once in a while It remains to think, what to choose?
Safety precautions when working with a circular saw
Material that is cut must be firmly fixed, on a stable (not wobbly) horizontal surface.