How to tuck a trimmer line into a grass trimmer reel? Video instruction
Warranty exhaustion of the factory grass trimmer threading will inevitably require the replacement of the line. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel on their own, beginners are reluctant to take on this task. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not represent any difficulties, and the following similar instruction will facilitate this process as much as possible.
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body, in which a spool with a line (filament) is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way the cord is threaded and fed and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The cord is fed after the user has reduced the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if high volumes of work are performed, such bobbins have a disadvantage. high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head requires no complex manipulation from the user. The way they work is that the filament is extended automatically while the machine is running at full speed. Enough to slightly knock the head trimmer for grass on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is extended from the bobbin, and then cut to the right length knife, located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you need to stop the machine, and then the line for the trimmer is pulled by hand.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also keep in mind that grass trimmer reels for grass are single string (used only for trimming grass) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of shrubs.
Double aerial grass trimmer
After removing the spool from the spool body, determine the number of threads for the curved mowing line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between reels with one and two grooves, but if carelessly filled in a pair, there are problems with the work. Due to the possibility of weaving adjacent tool chains, a situation may arise when it is impossible to remove new ones after the working antennas are worn out.
Regardless of the number of threads to refill, take a trimmer line length of 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding should be done in the opposite direction of the head’s rotation, as winding in the direction of motion will cause the trimmer line to not come off the spool. After the trimmer line is threaded into the grass trimmer spool, the loose ends (15-30 cm) are stitched through special holes. Next, reassemble the head in disassembly order and check for proper operation. Don’t worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer, a knife mounted on the amulet cuts off the excess.
Three-dimensional head with automatic line
Some models on the market have an auto-winding spool. The owner only needs to properly tighten and fix the ends in the head, and the tool itself will perform the winding operation when it is on in working mode. Winding the line for the trimmer in the trimmer with such a head is almost impossible, because the spool itself determines the position of the antennas. The advantages of the automatic three-dimensional head include the ease of filling the mowing line, while the disadvantages are the frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of construction and high cost.
- How a starter or grass trimmer works?
- Worst case
- How to replace or replace the starter spring?
- How tight is the spring loaded?
- Assembling a motorcycle starter cord
- How to assemble a new starter mower?
- How to change the starter cord?
READ Which Way to Put the Disc on the Carver Grass Trimmer
The manual starter for a gas grass trimmer or gas grass trimmer is a mechanical device that involves a pulley mounted on a ratchet. Wind the rope around the pulley to its original position. This is removed at the beginning. The pulley is loaded with a spring. If you let go of the end of the rope, it will turn back. A flat band coiled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles the spring in a large mechanical watch that starts once a day. The starter itself is located more often at the back than closer to the front end of the mower or grass trimmer. In order to properly perform all manipulations with the brush starter, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool
Filling the fishing line into the tool spool, at first glance, is not a simple thing. But just study this process carefully. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulty.
- The spool with the fishing line is the lower extreme part of the grass trimmer. First and foremost, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft), on which the spool is attached. You need to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. This is easiest to do by placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of stupor (preferably metal). When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage the bobbin must be removed from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into its elements. To do this, you must first locate the locking device on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the cap clockwise. Then remove the cap and take out the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It should be temporarily set aside so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Inspect the bobbin before beginning the thread winding process. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is clean, you can start preparing a new one.
- From the pre-prepared skein of new fishing line you should measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin must be within arm’s reach.
At this point, actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
The first method of winding the line
The required amount of fishing line is cut. Now it is necessary to carefully inspect the bobbin to understand what type it belongs to. This depends on how it will be coiled line trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two compartments. upper and lower. The first type has a separating edge which is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied, depending on which of the above-mentioned types the bobbin belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter section should be bent in half. It is best not to cut it exactly in the middle, but one half should be about fifteen centimeters longer than the other half.
- Then insert the bending point into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it does not intertwine and the upper half is winded to the top half of the spool and the lower half to the bottom half. At each half about fifteen centimeters from the end should be left free.
- There are small notches (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads should be inserted into these notches so that they are secured one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material in the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin need to be put through the appropriate holes in the head of the trimmer for grass.
- That’s it. The bobbin winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head as a unit. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then you insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- Pull the loose ends of the threads outwards more. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumables so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. Check that the cutter is out of the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads out a little. they should come out through the holes in the head unobstructed.
- Press the bobbin down and place the cover over it. The cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is wound into the spool. The grass trimmer is ready for further work.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared six meter long piece should be bent exactly in the middle and cut. That’s how you get two lengths of line of equal length.
- At one end of each segment a small “hook” should be made. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix briefly so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then a single piece is taken. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now we can proceed to the key step. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the upper part of the spool. It is not necessary to wind the thread up to the end. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small notches (so-called slots) for fixing the consumables. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The top of the spool is tucked in. Now we need to do the same procedure with the bottom part. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And in this piece about fifteen centimeters from the end should also be left free. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first piece is inserted.
For each trimmer, the manufacturer recommends a line for the trimmer, or cord, of a certain diameter. a spool is made for it. It can be from 1.2 to 4 mm: you need to look at the instructions, what sizes of fishing line are allowed for your tool. For example, in many trimmers the maximum value is 3 mm (recommended for hard grass). a thicker cord cannot be set. Fine trimmer line with a diameter of 1.2 to 1.6 mm is best for mowing young, soft vegetation. Also when choosing, pay attention to the structure of the cord: round is the strongest and suitable for rough grass, shaped. for soft, twisted or notched. for thin stems. Buy the right line for your lawn or weeds, depending on whether you’re working with lawn grass or weeds. The length of the winding can be from several tens to several hundred meters, and its price depends on this. The amount of work to be done should be taken into account. If the grass trimmer is used in a private household, there is no need to buy a coil over 100 m.
Good to know! Buy only brand-name trimmer lines recommended by the grass trimmer manufacturer. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut through grass very well and not wear out so quickly.
For one filling of the line in the bobbin you need 2 to 4 m of length. it all depends on the thickness of the line and the manufacturer’s recommendations. If more is wound on, the line will be obstructed and you may have problems pulling the new ends in while working. Coil up the desired amount and cut with the knife.
Useful tip: leave a length of cord in water for about 30 minutes so that it becomes firmer and stronger.
To insert the trimmer line into the trimmer head, you need to remove it from the tool. Depending on the construction this can be done by pushing or unscrewing the wing nut. Pay attention to the direction of thread. right or left. and depending on this turn the wing nut. Usually the direction of rotation is indicated by an arrow on the trimmer head body. Wearing gloves to prevent slipping of fingers and hands from getting dirty is recommended for this operation.
Disassembling the trimmer head
The trimmer line is wound onto the bobbin, which is hidden in the body of the trimmer head. You need to disassemble the element to get to it. There is a clip on the lid of the body, and you can easily remove the lid by pushing on it. Sometimes can be unassembled by unscrewing the housing.
Pay close attention! Note the order in which the elements are installed and the location of the spring and fixing screw inside the head. Carefully stack all the parts in one place so that nothing gets lost and there are no problems during assembly.
Trimmer heads differ in structure, type of spool and principle of line pulling. Once you disassemble the housing you will see the bobbin and determine what type it belongs to. There is a lip in the middle of the spool that separates the spool into a top part and a bottom part for each end of the line. Without it, the line is wound solid. To make the process more understandable we suggest using the table.
Reeling line on various types of spools
With separating skirt
Without separating strip
We have described how to wind the line for the trimmer into the spool of a grass trimmer with two tendrils. This is the most common method. But there are other methods. For example, if the mowing head has one tendril, you wind it without folding the trimmer line. Rotate in the direction indicated on the bobbin case and temporarily fix the free end of the filament in the slot on the case. For trimmers with four tendrils, the consumables are four short pieces that are inserted one at a time into the holes of the already-assembled head.
Useful tip: when winding the fishing line carefully, do not overtighten it, so it does not sit very tight in the spool. Ensure that the trimmer head can move freely so that it can be reeled in afterwards.
Assembling the trimmer head
After the line for the trimmer is wound on the bobbin, it is necessary to assemble the body. Position the spool so that the line ends can be pulled into the output holes of the trimmer head. Slots in the bobbin, where they were temporarily inserted, will not let them slip out. If not, hold the ends with your fingers as you insert the spool into the housing. After pulling the loose ends into the outlet holes, close the cover and secure it with latches or screws. Place the mowing head on the grass trimmer and extend the line ends to the desired length so that they do not touch the blade guard when working. Done! You are ready to go to work!
Thus, theoretically knowing the algorithm for changing a line in a trimmer head, you can easily and quickly cope with this task. take your time and carefully observe the construction of the bobbin before carrying out your first change. If you have difficulty disassembling the housing, you can always refer to the instruction manual, which necessarily specifies the locking mechanisms. It helps to avoid breakages due to carelessness. Buy fishing line for your trimmer and other trimmer accessories at our online store.
How does the line head work on the brushcutter Why do you need to know the principle of operation?
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. On the manual type head. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is seated on slits, preventing its free movement
- The spool is acted on by a spring that presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is from 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slots. At the same time the line for the trimmer is coiled from the drum, increasing in length
- When the correct amount of line has been fed out, release the clamp and continue mowing
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is the point where most owners of special tools have difficulty.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Automatic line winding on spool
There is a variety of spools, in which the automatic mechanism produces winding itself. from the user only needs to correctly tuck in the line for the trimmer. The line for the trimmer is fed through the opening on the inside of the housing, its tendrils are fed through the opening on the outer casing without winding, the reel is assembled and the trimmer line winds itself inside by rotating the winding button. With such a spool it’s impossible to do winding incorrectly, the mechanism itself determines the correct direction, because it can only turn in one direction.
The grass trimmer is a handy and easy-to-use tool for mowing grass and trimming small bushes and trees. It often uses a trimmer line (string, cord) as a cutting element, because it costs less than knife-discs and is safer to use. With intensive use of the tool over time, it will be necessary to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer. This process is similar on mowers from different manufacturers, whether Husqvarna or Huter, with possible minor differences.
Working with grass trimmers requires a certain amount of care and attention. Compliance with safety precautions during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced masters. It happens so that self-confident trimmers lose vigilance, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. Therefore, when working with the machine it is important to
- Close the coil cover with all latches.
- Never reel in more line than necessary: it’s too hard to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check that the tool works before mowing.
- Choose quality material that is suitable for the particular trimmer.
It is not necessary to try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear only safety clothing. Wear glasses and appropriate footwear.