Sanding a hardwood floor: step by step instructions for polishing
The recent fashion for natural building materials in recent years is forcing many people to return to the roots of. And what can be more traditional and natural than a wooden floor? Whether it’s a parquet or a boardwalk, wood fits perfectly into any interior. In addition, modern technology allows you to give it any color, preserving the original texture of the material. Whatever the designer’s final ideas may be, the first step of the preparation work is always to sand the wooden floor. And only then it can be tinted and covered with a protective composition. No matter if you have laid a new floor or decided to restore the old one, it still has to be sanded.
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to sand wood with improvised means. You need a special machine, or better two. one for the main area and the other for the corners. The cost of such equipment is rather high, and it makes no sense to buy it for domestic use. What to do? There are two ways out of such a situation:
- Hire a specialist who will grind your floor in a short time, but will take for this enough impressive amount;
- Rent equipment and start working on your own.
Of course, the second option will require considerably less.
So, here is a list of tools and materials that you need to prepare before renting a grinder, so that in the paid time it will not stand idle while you run around town in search of missing little things:
Cicle. a special tool for manual processing of hard-to-reach places.
With such a tool, you can make a rough sanding in hard-to-reach places. Achieve smoothness with sandpaper by hand
Sandpaper. to make the calculation of the required amount of material can be based on the fact that one charge machine enough for 15-20 m 2 surface. In addition, you should take into account that you will have to sand several times, constantly reducing the grit of the paper.
To a large extent facilitate the work a small handheld machine for processing corners. You can rent it in the same place as a large sander.
Choosing a sanding tool
Deciding what to sand a wooden floor, you do not need to put a lot of effort. a suitable tool has long existed and is actively used by both amateurs and professionals.
- Wood sanding machine. The presence of such a tool greatly simplifies the entire work on the processing of the wooden surface. The problem is that not everyone has this equipment. the cost of the sander is high, and to acquire it for the sake of a single job is not worth it. However, you can always think about renting such a machine. It is desirable to take two machines at once. one for processing an even surface, the second. for sanding corners.
- Scraper. This tool allows you to scrape floors by hand, making fine processing of hard-to-reach areas of coverage.
- Sandpaper. Almost every host has a sandpaper, so its purchase is unlikely to be necessary. Using sandpaper allows you to create a smooth surface.
The order of grinding the floor with your own hands
- After you have completely sanded the floor, you will need to get rid of the dust that has appeared. ideally use a powerful vacuum cleaner (if in doubt, domestic household better not use), if not, then simply remove the dust with a broom and a dustpan.
- After you got rid of dust, you can proceed to varnishing. Each coat must be applied after the previous one has dried completely. If you tint the floor, then first of all you need to apply tinting, and after it dries (about 6-8 hours) is already covered with varnish. As a rule, after the drying of the lacquer can raise the remaining uncut lint. it is very easy to deal with it: after the complete drying of the first coat of lacquer take the used abrasive paper P80 and manually, without pressing hard, go through it all over the floor. Afterwards, sweep up and coat the floor with the remaining coats of varnish.
If you have performed all these actions, you can be proud of yourself. now your floor is completely sanded, and you can boast of your new acquired skills. Congratulations!
Specifics of work in hard-to-reach places
After scraping the main area of the flooring process hard to reach areas with an angle grinder (angle grinder), or use a machine type “boot. Design features of these models allow you to accurately work the perimeter, including the space under the radiators, corner areas and niches. The first treatment of hard-to-reach areas is carried out after the scraping phase of the main area has been completed. Similarly, proceed to work on the perimeter after the final sanding, replacing the abrasive wheels with a version with fine grain.
At first glance, leveling a wooden floor and preparing the substrate for the final finishing by means of sanding equipment seems to be an elementary task. In fact, this is a complex and time-consuming process that requires special training.
Greetings! On our site you will find a huge number of useful articles and tips about modern construction, repair and interior design. For your convenience, all the articles on our site are divided into thematic sections. Also, we are always ready to support the conversation in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев, write.
Any concrete can be treated, regardless of its characteristics. The most important thing. that on the ground surface was not a potholes and hills of height greater than five millimeters. When selecting concrete for casting, it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the room.
Depending on the purpose of the floor, you can select the materials as follows:
- For industrial buildings, warehouses or outdoor areas is best to use concrete with a grade in the range from M150 to M300. after pouring such a floor will be easy to grind;
- To obtain maximum strength and durability, it is worth choosing a concrete grade above M300, and as a filler to use small crushed stone;
- To simplify further sanding, it is better to choose materials of small fractions (marble crumb is well suited for processing).
In any case, regardless of the choice of material, with patience you can grind any concrete surface.
Prepare the floor for work
Regardless of whether the flooring is new or old, the flooring must be checked for defects. These are: knots that have fallen out, gaps, the strength of the fixation of the floorboards, the presence of s of rot, mold. If necessary, the strips are replaced, fused, the floor is reassembled, but the cracks sealed with sealant, putty and give a good drying.
Tip! If you add wood chips into the putty or PVA glue, sealing cracks will be easier and the mixture will hold stronger.
To prevent the risk of breaking the drum of the grinder or disc, the protruding nail heads to drown in the wood, and unnecessary nails to pull out. Holes also need to be sealed, sanded with a sandpaper. Cleaning of furniture, dust and debris. this is a must, and then it is better to wash the flooring with a damp cloth, but with the expectation that before the start of work he had time to dry.
Door openings should be covered with foil to prevent the sanding dust from flying into other rooms. Remove doors and baseboards. By the way, old baseboards are better to inspect and also replace. Windows should be left open, non-dismountable furniture, and expensive wall and ceiling cladding should also be protected with film.
Sanding the logs and beams
Unlike hand-cut logs, rounded logs and logs have a smooth surface, which causes certain difficulties when processing them with an angle grinder. One awkward movement. and on the surface of a bar or a log bed will appear deep furrows and cavities that will remain there forever.
The angle grinder is not for beginners, it requires certain skills. The angle grinder is a high-speed machine and can damage the surface if not handled properly. You can not strongly press the tool to the area to be treated. Grinding should produce smooth circular motions, holding the angle grinder at an angle of 45 degrees. Grinding and polishing of lumber should be done at low revolutions. High rotations can cause thermal destruction of the surface layer of the wood.
Hand tools for lacquering parquet
In addition to the chemical composition, the different types of lacquer differ in the consistency of the solutions. Compounds with different densities are applied to the parquet with special tools:
- Wide brush. suitable for liquid varnishes, which are distributed on the parquet flooring with U-shaped movements. The tool is used by professionals and amateurs.
- Short-pile velour paint roller is suitable for thick lacquer compounds and lacquers of medium consistency, which are distributed on the floor in crosswise movements.
- Stainless steel trowel. used with thick compounds, which are distributed on the floor with S-shaped movements. The lacquer application technique saves time and material.
In addition to hand tools you can use the spray gun, but the real masters prefer to work with their hands, controlling the thickness of coverage and consumption of the paint.