Husqvarna chainsaw oil adjustment
A chainsaw is a tool equipped with a two-stroke carburetor engine. for chain saw’s qualitative and long term operation it is necessary not only fuel. gasoline, but also lubricants, that is oil. All technological oils, regardless of the principle of action and scope of application serve one purpose. high-quality engine operation, lubrication of leading engine parts, durability of parts, reduction of wear of parts.
Important! Engine oil for mixing with gasoline to fill a chainsaw and chain oil for chain saw lubrication are not the same!
The ideal chain oil for chainsaw chain lubrication must meet these requirements:
- Be of good quality, preferably of a world famous brand or “native”, which is produced by the manufacturer for its chainsaws;
- Have good adhesive properties, i.e. spread evenly and tightly over the whole area of the chain and the contact area of the chain with the bar;
- meet the viscosity standards for the time of year;
- Not to be smoke-forming;
- withstand low temperatures and do not freeze in winter, which is especially important in winter work.
How to use chain oil for chainsaws?
To supply lubricant to the chain in a chainsaw or electric saw, there is a special pump. This pump should deliver oil directly to the bar and distribute it over the chain, contributing to the quality operation of the tool. Engine speed has a direct impact on oil consumption. The higher the speed, the higher the oil consumption.
What is the force feed lubrication system??
STIHL chain saw lubrication system and this component in other power units are identical, depending on the speed and number of revolutions of the chainsaw heart, the engine. Oil is applied to the cutting element, or more precisely to the bar, in doses. forced lubrication is made possible by a special pump.
The chainsaw chain lubrication pump sends a consumable with high adhesive properties to the saw headset. Only expendable material of this quality should be used, as only it, even at maximum revolutions of the chain mechanism, will be able to distribute evenly over the entire bar.
Design of the lubrication system
Chain lubrication system of a chainsaw, taking into account the manufacturer of the tool, may differ slightly in design features, by the parts used in the creation of this node. the features do not affect the wiring diagram of the system or the total number of parts used.
- Oil reservoir in the engine crankcase;
- tank filter (element, located directly in the tank);
- The oil pipe, which looks like a small diameter hose made of high quality rubber;
- The pump itself, can be considered the heart of this assembly;
- Feeding force from the motor to the heart of the node worm gear (worm type gears).
Some papers by powertrain repair specialists describe the guide bar not just as a saw headset, but as one component of a lubrication system. Why so? It can be explained by the presence of special holes in this tire, through which the oil flows. By the way, the chain itself can also be considered a participant in the transportation of lubricant, because this mechanism also has parts related to oil distribution.
What is the principle of operation of this unit??
The pump is the heart of the assembly, let’s take a look at how it works.
Stihl Chainsaw Chain Oiler Not Working? Check This First To Fix Oiling Problems!. Video
- As soon as the engine speed increases, the mainshaft pinion uses a worm drive to drive the pump shaft.
- When the pump shaft works, pressure is created, which is transmitted to the oil line, which pushes the oil in the direction of the tire.
- The end of the lubrication channel is located at the junction of the power unit crankcase and the guide rail, where a longitudinal groove is placed. The last one is the lubrication channel.
What function does the slot have?? It supplies oil to the guide bar, no matter what the chain tension level. This ensures that the oil gets to the bar even if it is not in the normal operating position.
Do not forget that the chain drive is involved in the lubrication process. Depending on design, the chain has holes or grooves through which the lubricant is distributed to the bar. Oil will flow to the bar faster as soon as the engine speed is higher.
Certain models have pumps that are additionally adjustable (the operator can adjust the capacity of the pump depending on the volume of work and conditions of use of the saw). If necessary, the oil flow is reduced; if it needs to be increased, the oil flow is adjusted accordingly.
Be sure to read our article on chain oil supply for STIHL chain saws. The system may differ depending on the brand of chainsaw.
The main advantage of this function is the ability to save consumables. By the way, if you’re wondering what oil to use for chainsaw chain lubrication, choose the one recommended by the manufacturer of your power tool.
Criteria for choosing oil
Many owners of chainsaws, when malfunctions occur, blame the manufacturer of the tool, complain about cheap components and low-quality assembly. However, it is often the owner’s negligence and desire to save on consumables, particularly oil, that leads to the breakdown.
And some even go to a mechanic and beg for a liter or two of recycled oil. This kind of savings then translates into quite a bit of money to repair the chain saw, buy a new chain and other parts.
Criteria for choosing oil for chainsaw chain lubrication:
- Viscosity Index. This concept characterizes the degree of oil viscosity change at different temperatures. It is best to use an oil with an index value between 90 and 130. The pouring temperature must be at.30 0 Celsius. Viscosity varies with temperature:
- Viscosity at 40°C: 100 mm²/s DIN 51562
- Viscosity at 100°C: 13.5 mm²/s DIN 51562
Well known lubricants such as Liqui Moly, Dynamic, STIHL, Husqvarna meet these criteria.
Important characteristics to consider when selecting an oil:
- Versatility. Many chain saw users prefer to use multipurpose oils for chain lubrication. This is not a good solution. Temperature differentials in summer and winter operation can reach up to 50 °C. You are unlikely to find a decent oil in the medium price range that can reliably protect the chain. Use different types of oil for winter and summer operation;
- Additives. Do not pour regular motor oil into the lube system. The fact is that chainsaw lubricant manufacturers, add special additives to their products that provide more reliable chain lubrication. In fact, the oil droplets literally stick to the tire and chain;
- Thickness. Another reason why you shouldn’t use conventional oils. If you notice drips around the oil reservoir, you may need to buy a quality oil designed to lubricate the chain in your chainsaw;
Important: Many users claim to successfully use mineral gear oils with a viscosity of 15-40 for summer and 10-30 for colder periods of the year. They can be used for a while, but temperature requirements must be adhered to and the oil line must be kept clean.
Advantages of Premium Oil Pumps
The repairability of collapsible pumps is sufficient to restore the machine to operation at home.
Gears of budget chainsaw pumps drive are mostly polymer. Technically advanced, brand-name models with adjustable capacity are equipped with drive mechanisms made of non-ferrous metals. The cost of such systems is compensated by economical, up to 50% working fluid consumption.
Lubrication system device
Depending on the chainsaw brand, parts of the lubrication system may vary slightly in design, but their total number and connection scheme remains the same.
The main components of the lubrication system are:
- The oil tank, usually in the engine crankcase.
- Filter element, installed in the tank.
- Lube line, a small diameter hose made of oil-resistant rubber.
- Heart of the system. oil pump.
- The worm gear that transmits the power from engine to pump.
- The chainsaw bar, it too can be considered a component of the lubrication system, as it has special holes for feeding oil, by the way and the chain itself is involved in the transportation of oil and therefore also has some elements designed precisely to provide lubrication.
chain saw oil pump: malfunctions and repair
As we mentioned before, the principle of chain lubrication is the same for both gas and electric saws. Therefore it is clear that the faults associated with the oil pump, as well as the causes of these faults, are the same. A faulty chainsaw oil pump can appear in just two ways. Let’s look at the chain saw oil pump malfunctions and their possible causes. And here are some troubleshooting tips.
Not enough oil flowing into the chain. Insufficient lubrication leads to overheating and stretching of the chain. This can lead to the chain jamming and, more dangerously, to the chain jumping out while the saw is in operation. There can be several reasons why the pump doesn’t deliver the correct amount of oil.
- The simplest and most easily removable cause is a clogged channel that supplies oil to the chain. Sawdust and other debris clog them and prevent proper chain lubrication. Therefore, it is important to clean the oil outlet channel and the passages in the oil rail in good time.
- Another reason is the chainsaw oil pump plunger malfunction. The plunger rotates and takes in a certain amount of oil and sends it to the chain. Plunger speed directly depends on engine speed, i.e. the faster the chain spins, the more oil it needs to flow. If the ram breaks, it must be replaced.
Oil leaking. Understand that a little oil leakage is acceptable. But if you find your chainsaw in a puddle of oil every time, it’s time for a repair.
- First check the tightness of the tubes and plugs on the oil pump. Over time, the tubes can crack. In this case it is best to change it for a new one, but you can also try to seal it with a special sealing material.
- If the cause of failure in the crack body, you will have to buy an oil pump for a chainsaw repair such defects are not subject to.
To leave unnoticed the incorrect operation of the oil pump for a chainsaw can not. But there may be several ways of solving the problem. Proper diagnosis and finding the cause of the malfunction is a guarantee of a speedy solution to the problem.
Your main helper should be the instruction manual. If you have lost it, you can go to your chainsaw company’s dealer and they will give you an instruction manual in electronic format.
So, before each switch on of a chainsaw check if the chain is in good working order, if its teeth are ground, if it is well tensioned (it is not sagging, but also not too tight, it can be pulled away from the blade a little).
To sharpen the chain you can use a special machine or file with a special template (depending on what tooth pitch of the chain, there are different templates).
Every time after use the chain saw needs to be cleaned: chain, guide bar, air filter, housing, cooling fins, gaps and other grooves cleaned of sawdust. After using the saw turn the bar over so it wears evenly, lubricate the sprocket (if there are lubrication slots in the front of the saw).
Be sure to drain the fuel and oil when storing for long periods of time! Chain and guide bar form an electrochemical pair, that’s why they corrode together, they should be stored separately.
I have a Husqvarna 345 and I have a problem with oil flow. Both sides were in oil and I can’t figure out where it’s coming from. On the advice of friends, took the saw apart, cleaned everything, rinsed and checked. The hose turned out to be clogged and because of that the oil was not on the tire, but splashed on the sides.
I can’t figure out where it’s coming from. I figured it out and installed a new pump but it didn’t change. I took it to a technician and it turned out that the problem was with the oil pump drive. It’s replaced and all is well.
Top 5 popular brands
Saving on lubricants leads to accelerated wear of chain saw parts, and even to its failure. We’ve already mentioned that you should never use used oil, it’s a sure step to kill your tool. Diesel oils, hemp, and other surrogates are not recommended. They are not suitable for such purposes and are bad for chainsaw performance and durability.
Husqvarna Chain Oil
Oleo-Mac Polar Lube
Continuous use of substitutes reduces chain and bar wear by 30-40%. With recycling, this figure rises to 60-70%. Decide for yourself whether it makes sense to save money on chain oil for chainsaw chain lubrication.
Recommended oils for chain lubrication:
- Husqvarna Chain Oil. An excellent solution for work in moderate climatic conditions from a well-known manufacturer of garden equipment;
- Oleo-Mac Polar Lube. Proven in applications with temperatures from.20°C upwards.150 to 300 Celsius. Does not contaminate the environment;
Liqui Moly Suge-Ketten
- MANNOL Kettenoel. Has good adhesive properties, thus ensuring the chain is well lubricated. Suitable for temperatures from. 150 C and higher;
- Liqui Moly Suge-Ketten. High-quality, multipurpose mineral oil that protects your chainsaw reliably. For use at both high and low temperatures;
- STIHL ForestPlus. Ideal choice for professionals. Good protection for your chain in demanding and extreme conditions;
How to properly care for your STIHL chain saw chain (STIHL)
The chain is the most functional part of a chainsaw. Its condition directly influences the quality and speed of the cut. In addition, a faulty saw chain is a serious threat to the safety of the tool operator. So at the slightest signs of dulling, sagging, lack of lubrication and so on the chain should be avoided. Repair work should be carried out immediately. But practically all such faults can be ruled out by prompt chainsaw service. To do this you need to understand the chain and how to maintain it.
- 2 Do-it-yourself chainsaw repairs: The lubrication system
- 3 Chain brake troubleshooting
- 4 Chain tensioning
- 5 Chain sharpening for chain saws
- 6 Chain sharpening, video
Chain oil for chainsaws
A chainsaw has two tanks, one of which is filled with gasoline and the other with oil to lubricate the machinery chain. The quality and composition of the oil, as well as the fuel, will determine the durability, serviceability of the chainsaw. Often in equipment stores they offer a ready-to-use oil from chainsaw manufacturers, and it is designed for this purpose. The finished product is suitable for operation at low temperatures and does not contaminate the environment. Ready oil can be replaced with another oil, as long as it is not used. Manufacturer’s representatives recommend that you buy a brand oil or prepare a mix based on the oil used in the owner’s manual. If the instructions do not specify a certain type of oil, you can buy two-stroke oil, which is sold at a specialized store. Two-stroke oil can be of two types:
Experts advise using synthetic oil for chainsaws, but at a price it is always more expensive. The main advantage of this type of lubricant is that during the operation of the equipment in the cylinder does not form soot, and this prolongs the life of the equipment.
If you have used mineral oil for 100 operating hours, it is best to continue to use it, because fouling may have accumulated during operation. A synthetic product tends to clean and will wash off the deposited layer from the walls of the cylinder, and this will result in damage to the machinery.
STIHL semi-synthetic oil
Owners of chain saws often wonder what kind of oil to use. It can affect its performance:
To solve this problem, STIHL has developed a versatile semi-synthetic oil. It is suitable for all high-speed chainsaws. You can lubricate chains under all conditions. The tool will run reliably.
STIHL partially synthetic chain oil is manufactured from special high-grade materials and is free from a variety of toxic substances that can cause cancer, as it is specially formulated for chains. The oil fully meets the most rigorous environmental requirements.
Russia’s climate is pretty harsh. There are regions of our country where the freezing temperatures frequently exceed.20°С. The latest STIHL chain oil was especially developed for use in cold conditions. It has excellent fluidity in this kind of frost.
Special additives in oil do not let the cutting equipment get greasy, they will prolong the life of other lubricated parts. A saw with this oil is easy to start, even after long periods of storage.
The use of such chain lubricant reduces chain wear. Cutting attachments are ideally protected through the high oil resistance at high temperatures. Such oil is not afraid of temperature peaks. Almost never smokiness.
Whoever owns a chain saw knows how important a good, high-quality oil is. And, everyone dreams, needless to say, that this is the typical lifeblood of this device to produce real and effective work. Today there is an unlimited number of oils and, as the proverb says, the choice is vast.
But, often, not every owner of electric equipment of this kind knows what oil is necessary to take for your own steel friend, so that the chainsaw was not only easy, and productive. The question about the right choice of STIHL sawmaker will therefore be considered. Also, what is it to help the chainsaw in its specific activity, and not to harm it? What you need, let’s get started.
Separately, about the breakdown of the most common model
Let’s look at the STIHL 180 in more detail:
- A clogged carburetor or fuel filter. These are the most common culprits that can be fixed after cleaning. From time to time it is necessary to change the filter;
- Plug replacement;
- Every now and then a cylinder or oil seals need replacing.
STIHL saws are pretty solid and robust, so breakdowns can often be taken care of by yourself. Almost the same is true of the Partner, Ural, Makita and Husqvarna
When you find a malfunction in your own chainsaw, look for the cause from small, evenly checking and fixing the problems. Such problems are easy to remove without the help of others. But if the breakdown is severe, and you do not have enough experience, then it should deal with the special.
Problems in the fuel system
If an inspection reveals that the spark is there and the spark plug is dry, it means a problem in the fuel system. Her check should begin with the fuel filter. Next, it is necessary to look around the fuel hose and its attachment to the carburetor, to direct attention, to fuel leaks from the carburetor and the presence of gasoline in the body of the air filter. Proceed to the removal of the carburetor purposefully, only if the visual inspection did not allow to find the cause of failure.
Corresponding sign of a problem in the fuel system is an excessive amount of fuel in the engine cylinder. A typical sign of this is that the spark plug is extremely wet and there is a spark on the spark plug contact. In this situation, you need to turn the chain saw in such a way that the spark plug hole is oriented downward. If with all this, gasoline will leak from the cylinder, it means that the reason that the chainsaw will not start is the overflow of fuel into the engine.
How To Fix A ChainSaw If It Won’t Oil The Bar And Chain
“Pouring” fuel, from time to time due to improper adjustment of the carburetor, or its malfunction.
With the process of adjusting the carburetor, you can get acquainted with the example of Champion 254 saw, look at the annotation.
One of the frequent cases of a chain saw with difficulties in starting is the wear of the cylinder block (piston group).
As is clear, for normal start chain saw in her engine should have compression. It is necessary for the regular compression of the fuel in the cylinder, and it also affects the gasoline pump.
When the tool is in use, the compression value goes down, and chainsaw
The reasons for no compression, or reduced compression, can be natural, t.к. The engine wears out in the process. Trouble can also be caused by a catastrophic failure, such as a scored cylinder block or a broken piston ring.
An indication of low compression, is a weak starter resistance when starting. Less compression means less chain saw power, which has a negative effect on performance. The problem can be solved by replacing the piston rings, or quite the cylinder heads.
STIHL chain saws have a special system that supplies oil to the chain. The patented OILOMATIC system found on various STIHL chainsaws is an exclusive feature. This is an unusual extra not to be found on every other makes of chain saw. That is why more and more people choose STIHL saws. What is this system? This is a specially designed groove that is designed to direct the oil into critical wear areas. This superior lubrication feature gives the customer extended chain life with reduced tendency to stretch.
A further development of the OILOMATIC system is the oil reservoir next to the OILOMATIC channel These reservoirs are filled with oil when the drive links pass the inlet of the guide bar and are emptied by the centrifugal force acting on the bar nose. It provides more oil for distribution over the chain, groove and rails. System secures saw against premature wear. Simply put, it directs the oil where it is needed. System available on all STIHL saw chains.
Customers sometimes report a problem with STIHL chain saw chain lubrication not working. It is a rare phenomenon. Compared to conventional saws without Ematic, STIHL chain saws control chain lubrication consumption. A special system reduces consumption by up to 50%, depending on the type of wood and the cutting attachment used. This system includes the STIHL Ematic or Ematic S, the STIHL Oilomatic.
Everyone interested in learning more about the German-made chainsaw, here is an overview and specifications of the STIHL 180.
Every model is equipped with a variable-flow or reduced-flow saw chain and oil pump. Virtually every drop of chain lubricant is delivered precisely to the right spot. This system reduces friction and wear and therefore extends the life of the cutting attachment. Oil channels (funnel-shaped) in the saw chain connect the oil directly to the rivets and cutter bar steps. Several recesses into which chain oil can collect are also stamped into both ends of the drive links. This enables better distribution of oil over the sliding surfaces of the guide rods.
- Often reviews such as the STIHL chainsaw not getting oil on the chain concern STIHL Rollomatic ES models (STIHL EmaticSuper). This model is made up of a solid and particularly rigid nose bar that can be completely replaced. It is therefore ideal for the most demanding professionals, different tasks and mainly used for heavy-duty work. Elliptically shaped, angled oil holes increase chain oil flow rate for optimal lubrication and long guide bar life.
- Very often problems with oil flow can be due to improper refueling. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and requirements to avoid problems. STIHL 2-cycle oil is used. They are high quality, conventional petroleum-based motor oils designed to provide the highest levels of engine performance.
The oil provides protection in modern, high-performance, air-cooled two-stroke engines. The environmental acceptability of chain saws and power tools is also greatly improved with BioPlus lubricating oil (BlueAngel winner). It is a toxicological oil, which is not only biodegradable, but also environmentally friendly.
Also here is an in-depth look at the popular STIHL 250 chain saw and its specifications.
STIHL 2-cycle oils are designed for the high temperatures and conditions of today’s innovative and technically advanced engines. All STIHL 2-cycle oils contain a fuel stabilizer for longer storage life. STIHL recommends a 50:1 mix of high quality 89-octane unleaded gasoline. The same mix ratio should be used during breakdowns.
What other people have written about it after using a STIHL chain saw with an oil system?
“Inspect the clutch drum and return threads. Inspect the pump bracket. Check that the housing (under the thread) holding the pump is not blocked or damaged. If this is the case, sometimes marine epoxy can fix it.”.
“The most common reason the system fails is that it’s blocked. You have to remove the handle. remove the screws, the outer plugs. You will see the hose from the tank. take it out. If it is broken, you have found the problem. Flush the reservoir, hose and pump inlet.
The system uses chainsaw chain oil with high adhesion characteristics, this is needed to spread the oil evenly around the bar and hold it on the bar even at high chain rotation speeds. Oil leaks, chainsaw outlet is where the chain tension bolt comes from. Let’s take a closer look at the oil supply system implemented in modern chainsaws.
Design and function of the chainsaw oil pump
The groove on the shank ensures that the oil from the saw’s oil tank is captured and fed to the hose that feeds it to the bar.
The plunger in the brand-name saws is made of a single solid metal rod. But in the cheap kinds usually the pinion is not only forged but also mounted on the ramrod, which of course affects the life of the part.
The groove on the end is of several types:
- The body has a ½ to 1/3 of the plunger diameter longitudinal groove for gripping the oil;
- The radial groove on the end makes it possible to adjust the plunger movement in relation to the axis.
When replacing the oil pump it is important to select all the parts for this particular series of chainsaws so that all the tabs and grooves fit perfectly into the housing and the eccentric adjustment cap.