How to screw (screw in) self-tapping screws on concrete without drilling and without dowels
The configuration of the head affects the principle of fastener installation. Studs and hooks are mounted in a pre-drilled and filled with sealing material hole. Other products are fixed without drilling and drilling. screws with countersunk, hexagonal head can be used without preparation of landing hole drill, but such installation is allowed on lightweight concrete.
According to the properties of the protective coating, fasteners are classified into:
- black screws (oxidized). used in rooms with a stable normal humidity level;
- silver. the material is covered with a zinc layer, which allows it to be used everywhere;
- yellow. copper-coated and recommended for indoor installation.
According to the characteristics of the thread is commonly allocated:
- universal fasteners. length 12-220 mm, d 3-6 mm. There is a standard screw groove on the rod. The product is mounted in the wall of light and heavy concrete. In the latter case, the planting hole (on the dowel) is used;
- Universal fasteners with herringbone thread. length 12-200 mm, d 3-8 mm. Mounting is carried out in the prepared planting holes with a polymer sleeve. The depth of the groove must exceed the length of the screw by 3-5 mm. An impact drill or a simple electric screwdriver is used for the work;
- Screws with variable notch (thread). length 70-200 mm, d5 mm. Dowels are screwed into concrete walls without pre-drilling. An electric screwdriver must be used to drive the screw.
Can I drill with an electric screwdriver in concrete??
Greetings! This article will discuss whether an electric screwdriver can drill into concrete. There are times when you need to make a hole or dimple in concrete, and there’s nothing but an electric screwdriver at hand. You will have to think, what to do with it. there are of course impact wrenches, but even they can not cope with concrete. They can handle a brick at most.
I still recommend getting a torch for such cases, of course. Even with the cheapest. You’ll be making holes in seconds then. But if you need to get the job done right here and now, you can try the following method. True, in addition to an electric screwdriver and a drill bit, you need two more things. a puncher and a hammer.
An ordinary metal drill bit can be used, but it would be blunted in no time and would need to be resharpened afterwards if used to drill metal. If the electric screwdriver is an impact screwdriver, you can use a brick drill bit with a carbide tipped tip.
How to drill?
- First of all, you put the drill bit in the desired spot and hit it with a hammer until there is some indentation.
- Then you take an electric screwdriver and drill. This way you remove what the puncher has crumbled, and you can also advance a little more, as the drill is able to drill through the mortar. But it can not cope with large fillings such as rock or gravel, so it can only drill until it hits them.
- When the drill rests on a rock or rubble, then again we take a puncher and beat on it with a hammer.
- Repeat the steps until the desired result is achieved.
It’s not an easy job and it takes a lot of effort. But it still leads to the right result. That is, the work that the drill does on the fly, in this case, you will have to do by hand with the puncher.
If you bump into rebar, change your drilling position. Of course, you can try to drill through rebar with a metal drill bit, but it’s even more labor-intensive, so it’s easier to change where you’re drilling.
Drilling with a diamond drill bit
In fairness it is worth to write about such a method, as a diamond drill bit in concrete.
There are special drills for diamond drilling, which are quite massive machines that drill with diamond drill bits. And in theory such a bit can be adapted to an electric screwdriver. These bits have a landing place is a small rod with a 1/2-inch thread. And if your electric screwdriver is a chuck for 13 mm, not 10, you can get such a drill bit directly to this rod.
If the chuck is 10 mm, you need to think of any adapter.
But there is one fat “But” in this story!”which completely nullifies all of these plans. And that’s a “but!”the price of the crown, which is comparable to the price of a new torch, and often even more expensive. So you can immediately discard that way.
Few people know these SECRETS with the INDICATOR SCREWDRIVER!
It is possible to drill through concrete with an electric screwdriver, but it will be difficult. Essentially, the main work will be done by the punch. In Soviet times people made all the holes in concrete with a puncher and made do without any screwdrivers or drills. the electric screwdriver in this case only slightly simplifies the work.
That is why I again recommend getting a torch. For example, on the website Vseinstrumenty.The cheapest screw can be bought for a ridiculous amount of money. You can see for yourself by clicking here.
And that’s the end of the article. Thank you for your attention!
What you drill big holes with
Many people wonder if an electric screwdriver can drill holes of different diameters. It is possible, but the tool should be equipped with additional devices.
- Core (for metal work). A small circle of a certain diameter with sharp edges. In the center, you need to position the drill bit to pierce the metal. The bit with low power produces a hole or hole of the desired diameter. During operation, the edge of the tooth and the surface of the material must be cooled.
- Several steps. Drills of different diameters are required, from smaller to larger. Start with small diameter drills, gradually increasing, depending on the width of the hole.
- Cone tooling.
The above methods are suitable for working with metal. But if desired, they can be used with other materials.
Cone for drilling
What to drill concrete: tools, devices, tips
If you are going to drill a hole in a concrete wall, you must be properly prepared for the work. I advise you to start with the choice of the tool. In such a situation, there are only two possible options. an impact drill or a peorator. Naturally, the peorator would be the preferred solution, because the original function of this tool is to pierce concrete or stone, to create holes of different diameters.
The feature of the tool is the ability to create large diameter holes, while a standard drill cannot cross the threshold of drilling holes with a diameter of more than twelve centimeters. When it comes to such a non-standard material such as foam concrete, it is worth preferring a drill, as the wall will be irreparably damaged if you act on it with a pen.
A hammerless drill will be completely useless for such works, moreover, in the process the tool can be broken.
Of course, if drilling several holes is such a great need, then in the absence of a peorator you can do with a drill, which will allow you to drill a concrete wall with some skills. However, if you intend to work for a long time, it is still worth buying the right tool.
Thus, you will save a lot of time and effort, because you do not have to bother for a long time to drill the wall device is not designed for such heavy loads. If you still had to use a drill for any reason, then it is worth remembering one feature of working with it. use only pobeditovye drill bit for concrete in which the tip is covered with a coating created on the basis of hard alloys.
There are craftsmen who know how to make a hole in concrete with an electric screwdriver. This is quite realistic if you choose the right tool, such as Milwaukee 2604. With the right skill, such a machine will provide you with both drilling with impact and screwing. It is quite suitable for small things, but it is not suitable for a large amount of work on concrete.
In specialized stores you can find on sale special ring drills that have a diamond coating on the end. They are used for drilling rigs, which are used to drill quite large holes, the diameter of which can even reach twenty-five centimeters. I want to point out right away that such devices are very expensive, so it makes absolutely no sense to buy them in order to drill at home.
In cases where a wall socket or switch must be added during repair work, another variation of the tool is used. This is a drill bit that has a metal tipped edge all around its cutting edge. The diameter of the crowns varies from thirty to one hundred and twenty millimeters, but the standard size is sixty-eight millimeters.
The fact is that this is the size of the hole you need to drill in the wall to install a switch or socket. If you keep wondering about what to drill concrete, when using a crown, I will answer that the ideal for this mission is a peorator, which has a disabled percussive mode. If the wall to be drilled is too thick, you can use special extensions.
The crown itself can act as an attachment, but for a drill. This type is not tipped, but is coated over the entire area with a tungsten-carbide alloy. An additional advantage of this attachment is that there is no need to change tools when you need to drill a wall tiled with ceramic tiles. The thing is that such a nozzle perfectly passes, both tiles and concrete.
I want to note that this type of charging can be used only on those models of impact drill, the power of which is not below a thousand watts.
Often the work of the peorator is accompanied by the use of drills, the diameter of which can range from four to eighty millimeters. Many modern masters are faced with the question of how to correctly select the appropriate drill diameter.
Avoid such a situation can be easily avoided, because in order then not to think about what to drill concrete with, you can immediately purchase a set of special drills when buying the drill. Naturally the really good-quality kits that make it easy to drill through concrete walls are pretty expensive, that’s why I advise to buy them according to the diameter of used dowels.
Tips for drilling concrete
Before you drill, you need to do some manipulation with the tool. I advise you to carefully check the drill chuck for contamination, which, if detected, should be quickly removed, using a piece of dry rags.
If this condition is neglected, then during the time you are drilling you may encounter various problems with the serviceability of the tool. Inserting a drill bit into a chuck make sure it goes in at a right angle with the shank resting on the bottom of the chuck, otherwise the wall will remain untouched.
Indeed, the most serious problem that a concrete wall can present is finding the wall on the metal reinforcement. Such situations occur most often when concrete is drilled to great depths. In such a case, the armature is treated with a punch, after which you can continue drilling.
Another option for solving this problem, when, for example, the concrete floor is riddled with metal reinforcement, is to use a drill for metal, which can easily be supplemented by any percussion drill.
Due to the fact that you can’t drill longer than fifteen minutes with the tool used at home, a break of the same duration should be taken every quarter of an hour. During this break, both the concrete and the tool used are cooled. One of the peculiarities of including the tool in the work on the concrete break after such a break is the treatment of the drill with water. For example, a screwdriver device with a water-soaked drill is guaranteed to last longer, managing a huge number of other work tasks.
Tips for drilling concrete
Users often wonder how to drill concrete with an electric screwdriver and whether it is possible. Concrete is quite a strong material, so you need to consider the diameter of the hole and its depth. If a hole with a diameter of more than 10 mm is envisaged, it will be difficult to drill such a hole.
When drilling concrete, drill bits with a diameter of 3-5 mm are taken. Pay special attention to the rotation speed. If you want to screw in simple fasteners, 500 rpm is enough. But for drilling you already need 1300-1500 rpm.
Another criterion for working with concrete is the torque. For such purposes, choose an electric screwdriver with a value from 90 to 140 Nm. It turns out that an electric screwdriver can drill through a wall of concrete. A tool with this torque is also useful for drilling brick walls.
Some craftsmen use an electric screwdriver to drill a hole while fishing. You need a lot of torque here. Some models of Makita and Metabo tools cope with it.
With an electric screwdriver you can easily drill concrete up to 10 mm
Manufacturers of hand tools: Top 4 popular devices
The type of device. an electric screwdriver with an impact mode, in the form of a gun, equipped with a quick-action chuck, a light and a motor brake. Characteristics of the presented model:
- Quiet 3 speed metal gearbox.
- Battery. Li-Ion 18 V.
- Torque. 80 Nm.
- Blows per minute. 34000 beats./min.
- Weight. 2,4 kg.
- Speed of rotation. 2000 rpm./min.
- Maximum Ø of drilling for concrete. 16 mm.
Makita BHP 452 RFE
Cordless impact drill, electric screwdriver, with 2-speed gear box and LED-lighting for convenient operation in poorly lit rooms. Use for drilling and impact type of drilling. Key Features:
- Weight. 1.8 kg.
- rechargeable Li-Ion battery. 18 V with microprocessor charging technology. Charging time. up to 22 min.
- Chuck diameter. 13 mm.
- Blows per minute. 22500 beats./min.
- Speed of rotation. 1500 rpm./min.
- Maximum Ø of drilling for concrete. 13mm.
This model has combined a peorator, an electric drill and an electric screwdriver in 1 tool. With a powerful pneumatic percussion mechanism, you can perform simple drilling of holes in hard materials: concrete, brick. Product Features:
- Drilling can be done with or without impact.
- Shocks per minute. 5000 bpm./min.
- Speed of rotation. 900 rpm./min.
- Chuck. SDS Quick.
- Battery. Li-Ion 18 V.
- Weight 1.4 kg.
- Maximum drilling diameter for concrete. 10 mm.
Metabo PowerMaxx SB
Hammer drill. a mid-range cordless impact drill designed for home and professional use. Metal planetary gearbox and powerful motor for high overload resistance. Basic Specifications:
- Blows per minute. 21 000 beats./min.
- Speed of rotation. 1400 rpm./min.
- Weight 1.2 kg.
- Battery 10.8 V Li-Ion.
- Battery capacity. 2.0 Ah.
- Max. drilling diameter for concrete. 10 mm.
Design and Specifications
On the outside, as well as the mechanical action, the electric screwdriver resembles a drill. The difference is the low speed/higher torque. In addition, screwdrivers have fixed speed specifications (in drills, they are adjusted without assistance from others). Speed control is essential for safe, high-quality tool operation. The chuck stops moving the moment the self-tapping screw is 100% tightened. Although the chuck stops, the engine is still running.
A certain speed/mode of operation is designed for each type of work. There is a reverse function, screwing, unscrewing screws (also nuts, screws, screws, soft materials). Masters use screwdrivers all the time. In some cases (working with drywall, assembling interior, creating a partition) the tool increases the speed and productivity of work in a couple of times.
Schematic diagram of a cordless electric screwdriver.
The screwdrivers are designed according to the same principle. Basis of construction:
- Pistol-shaped handle (for working with the leading hand);
- small weight;
- Start button that starts/controls rotation;
- power source. mains or battery (note that the battery is more massive and more expensive than the tool itself);
- the capacity is limited by the total weight of the tool;
- uninterrupted operation time. about 3 hours;
- backup battery available (depending on the model).
- Powerful hammer mechanism (drilling holes 13/60 mm in concrete, 16 mm in stone);
- 3-speed gearbox, the speed of which is adjustable by the user;
- for the torque mode, you can choose 1 of the required combination of 22;
- speed unit integrated in the tool gives additional control over the process;
- LED backlight;
- Specially designed chuck to drill in a wide variety of materials;
- functionality (closely related to technical features);
- Compatibility with fasteners for drilling in metal/wood/stone/concrete.
Can an electric screwdriver drill through a concrete wall?
” Articles ” Can you drill concrete with an electric screwdriver
During many construction processes there is a need to drill concrete. A tool that can cope with such a task is an electric screwdriver.
Can I drill with an electric screwdriver??. EcommerceMarket.ru
Manufacturers offer a variety of tools. Almost everyone can pick up a tool to suit their financial capabilities and technical needs. The electric screwdriver is increasingly common in the home workshop. This is why there are questions about what else can be done with it. Today we deal with whether you can drill with an electric screwdriver?
Specialists do not recommend working with concrete. Such hard material even a drill with good technical characteristics can not take.
But, if your model has a hammer function, you can try to drive thin concrete, stone or brick. As a rule, modern structures are built of aerated concrete or sand-lime bricks.
Such surfaces can be drilled with the most ordinary model, which does not include a hammer function. The main thing is to use the right drill bit.
What an electric screwdriver can handle without problems? If you plan to work with wood, plaster, metal or plywood, you can safely take the tool out. It not only helps to screw in screws, but is also useful for drilling.
Wanna build a PC? Watch this first!
In order to safely use a device for drilling, it is necessary to choose it correctly. What to watch out for? If you want it always ready to work, then buy a mains or cordless, but with a spare battery.
The speed affects the ability to drill in different materials. For example, a speed of 500 rpm is enough for twisting./min. The speed for the drilling function should be up to 1300 rpm. It is also important to pay attention to the torque.
If it is small, then such an electric screwdriver is only suitable for drilling wood.
It’s safe to say that you can drill with an electric screwdriver. Today’s models are able to cope with almost any surface. Even with thin concrete or brick. If you are just looking for a new tool model, take our tips.
Can an electric screwdriver drill through a concrete wall?
A concrete screw or dowel is a cylindrical, elongated piece with a head on one side, a thread in the center and a sharp end on the other side. The head of the element may have the form of a hexagon or a cross groove in its center.
For the manufacture of dowels used carbon steel of high hardness, which makes the screw on the concrete quite strong, and the application of special protective coating protects the elements from corrosion and improves mechanical properties. The article introduces the types of screws, the ways they can be used on concrete.
Variety of hardware
Screws for concrete are available in several varieties.
What are self-tapping screws for concrete, their classification and features can be seen in the table:
|By thread form and pitch|
|Diameter of parts 3-6 mm, length from 12 to 220 mm. the peculiarity of this type of hardware. they can be screwed into a pre-drilled hole. They are multi-purpose products.|
|Universal with a herringbone thread||The diameters of the hardware are 3 to 8 mm, and the length varies from 12 to 220 mm. This is a universal screws for concrete, their use is possible only in conjunction with dowels, which are often included with the dowel. If there are voids in the concrete wall, it is recommended to use an impact dowel during installation. The lengths of the screws and dowels are identical. The hole for the hardware is drilled 3 to 5 mm deeper than the length of the screw.|
|Dowel with a variable thread||Under this dowel on the concrete requires pre-drilling a hole, but they do not need dowels. The knurled threads allow for an easy entry into the wall. The diameter of such hardware. 7.5 mm, and the length can range from 70-200 mm. The optimum size for the product is 7.5 x 72 mm.|
|By design of the head|
|These are cross-head screws.|
|These screws are screwed in with an open-ended wrench.|
|Parts with a threaded rod for a nut.|
|This is a hook anchor.|
|These are seldom used concrete screws, the countersunk head torx has a spline on the head for a star. hexagon. In addition, the inner side of the head is provided with countersinking, which guarantees the tightest fit of the fastener to the product, which is attached to the concrete base.|
|By type of coating|
|Finished parts have an oxidized coating. Used for indoor applications with normal humidity.|
|Such a dowel with a zinc coating. Used in all conditions inside and outside the building.|
|With a coating of yellow zinc. Most often such a screw is used for aerated concrete or indoors.|
Tip: All these models are mounted only in a pre-drilled and properly prepared hole.
Parameters of parts
Characteristics of black self-tapping screws on concrete
Choosing screws for concrete, their size should be selected according to the applied load.
- when fixing a cabinet that weighs five kilograms, you can use a screw with dimensions of 3 x 25 mm, where 3. diameter of the rod, 25. its length;
- to attach an object weighing 100 kg, the size of the screw is better to take 10 x 160 mm;
- With the sizes of screws, depending on their type, you can get acquainted with the table:
Dowels for concrete are manufactured according to the developed state standards. GOST 1146-80. When ordering fasteners specify dimensions of one part and total weight of all elements.
Choosing the fastener
Before you screw a screw into a concrete wall, it is necessary to correctly choose the fastener itself and the diameter of the drill.
In appearance, the anchor screw on concrete from simple screws almost no different. But there are some special characteristics that must have products that are suitable for installation with your own hands into concrete surfaces.
- Screw on concrete dowel must be made of high quality steel;
- Type of head and shape of the head. It depends on the tool planned to use, when screwing in the metalware. For example, a Phillips or star shape would work with an electric screwdriver and screwdriver. Such heads are convenient to use when you need to apply great force when screwing a screw into a concrete wall;
- The end of the dowel must necessarily be sharp;
- Screws must have an anti-corrosion coating, otherwise they will quickly corrode, which will cause the spread of corrosion on the reinforcing framework, if it is present in the wall.
Can you drill a concrete wall with an electric screwdriver or an electric drill? In fact, it is not worth spoiling your tool.
Find a peorator and do not suffer, and in an extreme case, correctly select the drill, taking into account such criteria:
- The diameter of the tool should be less than the cross-section of the metalware by 2-3 mm;
- Allowed to use a universal drill bit for an electric drill;
- The cost of the product. Most of all the price of anchors of frame and wedge types. It makes sense to buy them if the part will be subjected to a fairly large load. In other cases, it is enough to buy inexpensive self-tapping screws used for concrete surfaces;
- When using an impact tool, it is worth buying a special drill with grooves on the cylindrical part of the tail.
- Before you screw a screw into a concrete wall, you must first calculate the load for which the fastener will be designed. To do this, you can use, below, the table:
Features of the self-tapping screws
Applying such fasteners is quite convenient and easy. The instructions recommend that before you screw a screw into a concrete wall, you drill a hole in advance.
Before screwing the screw into the concrete, you will need:
Tip: Bear in mind that there is no definite answer to the question whether you can use an electric screwdriver to drill through concrete. In this case, the work should be carried out very carefully and only as a last resort.