How to cut tiles and porcelain tiles without dust and chips with an angle grinder at home. How to cut tiles with an angle grinder Is it possible to cut ceramic tiles with an angle grinder
You may not always have a hand or electric tile cutter at hand. In this case, they may well replace a small angle grinder. With its help you can easily cut a tile into two parts.
- Not only straight cuts are made with the angle grinder, but also curvilinear cuts. The tool saves the day when you need to prepare a tile in the way of some obstacle. For example, near water pipes, a toilet bowl or heating radiators. Also with an angle grinder performed holes for outlets and switches;
- Another advantage. grinding the edge of the tiles, because sometimes you want to cut down on it just 2-3 mm to stand on the spot. A manual tile cutter is not able to perform such a task;
- Angle grinder is set in operating position very quickly. It is enough to install the required disc (for a stone) and plug it in. All. The tool is ready to cut tiles;
- Cutting tile with an angle grinder is quite fast, as there is no need to cut through the entire thickness of the material. It is enough to saw through the top layer for a couple of millimeters, and then break the tile against any protruding corner.
The nozzles used
For cutting ceramics you need special discs, which are designed specifically for this. Most often on the circle itself there is an inscription indicating the direction of rotation. Quality always depends on price. There are the following types of disks:
- Stone is rarely used because of its rapid ability to grind and spread dust. In the process of cutting, you need to control the cutting base. If there are any irregularities on the edge, it is necessary to change the disc in order to avoid damage.
using a angle grinder to cut ceramic tiles
- Metal diamond wheels. In turn, they are divided into solid and divided into sections. For ceramics, the first type is better suited. You cannot work with such a nozzle for more than one minute. You need to take small breaks so the tool can cool down. Blades with segments are designed for porcelain tiles, concrete or stone. This type of nozzle has properly positioned slots, which are designed to increase the life of the.
- Special wheels for wet cutting allow you to cut tiles without dust by getting water on the nozzle.
If you need to cut a brick paving tiles, then only a diamond wheel will help in this situation.
Here it is worth remembering some peculiarities:
- Use not only safety glasses, but also headphones because of the increased noise level;
- Angle grinder must have great power to cope with the material;
- Avoid getting dust on an already tiled surface.
How to cut tiles with an angle grinder: tips from a professional
Tile work can not do without trimming. Trimming is needed to bypass pipes, counters, put a small strip at the end of the row, and the like.
A professional tile cutter will speed up the trimming process, but there are times when only an angle grinder will help. Voprosu how to angle grinder cut tiles and devoted to our article.
How to properly cut a tile (features)
How to cut tiles yourself? Although it may seem like a daunting task, following a few simple tips will help you tackle it. First of all, it is important to choose the right tools that will guarantee accurate cutting.
Unfortunately, even the best equipment, can not guarantee success in the form of proper installation of the material without a little dexterity.
In order to properly cut ceramic tiles, it is worth getting acquainted with the three well-known and recommended methods, the high efficiency of which may pleasantly surprise you.
“angle grinder” (or angle grinder, angle grinder) for cutting tiles is used everywhere. Parallel tile cutter. The power tool saws tile ( ceramic ) materials, paving tiles. porcelain tile.
The main advantage: the ability to cut tiles with an angle grinder will allow you to get curly cuts and complex configurations of the product. The main danger in doing so is that the tiles to be cut are very likely to be chipped.
A typical option for both home craftsmen and professional finisher. work with an angle grinder with a power of 1-1.5 kW. In terms of rotation speed, it is up to 3,500 revolutions per minute. Qualitatively, this corresponds to a diameter of 125 mm. such a disc for cutting tiles will be sufficient. A larger diameter is contraindicated for tiles. but with a high degree of professionalism anything is possible.
For beautification and spectacular appearance of the result finishing works are not only made with straight lines. So, sawing is technically possible as follows:
- straight: on a flat mowing line, which it is desirable to mark in advance;
- on a curve or in the form of the desired shape: you will have to try with a multi-step sawing the edge and the subsequent stripping into a smooth line;
- The hole is rectangular;
- the hole is round;
- 45° cutting edge.
All common and well-known materials on the market can be processed with these methods, including porcelain stoneware. With proper skill and dexterity the workpieces are made for home, office, shop and public place.
To understand how to properly handle the material how to cut any tile with the available angle grinder. But whatever technology you have chosen, the most important is the observance of safety. The use of personal protective equipment, monitoring the dryness of the workplace and ventilation can save the life of the craftsman.
Different discs for angle grinder are oriented to work with a particular material. Several types can also be used for cutting tiles. Let’s look at them in detail.
This kind has the lowest price, but it has two disadvantages: the discs wear out quickly and are very thick, so the cut is wide.
For this reason, the use of stone grinding discs is relatively rare.
Cutting discs made of steel are thinner and more durable. The most expensive varieties have a diamond coating. With such blades, the hardest type of tile is cut into porcelain stoneware.
Three methods of applying diamond chips are used:
- Silver brazing. These diamond discs have the lowest cost, they are usually used at home. Disadvantage: the silver solder loses its strength when heated and the diamond coating quickly wears out. That is why their service life is relatively short.
- Geometric closure. The disc edge is heated up considerably with electricity and diamond powder is injected into the disc. This method of depositing significantly increases service life. The price of the disk, compared to the previous option, is higher, but for domestic use is quite acceptable.
- Laser soldering. Expensive heavy-duty wheels that can cut materials of any hardness for a long time. Cost. from 9 to 25 thous. Used in industry.
Recommendations for choosing a cutting steel disc for ceramic tiles:
- thickness. no more than 2 mm: then the cut will be even;
- Width of cutting edge (diamond plating) is wider than thickness of tile;
- The recommended speed listed on the disc corresponds to the speed of the angle grinder.
Segmented dry cutters
Segmented discs are commonly known as “dry cutters” because of their ability to cut the material dry, i.e. without water cooling. Circle divided into segments by radial notches that allow efficient heat dissipation and free expansion of the metal when heated. Thanks to this, the continuous operation time reaches 1 min., and then pause for 20 to 30 seconds. the angle grinder is not switched off for this time. the disc is idling to cool down.
Cutting Bathroom Tiles with an Angle Grinder (Quick Tips).- by Home Repair Tutor
The disadvantage. poor quality of cut, a large number of chips. If the trimmed edge of the tile will remain in sight, the cut is carried out with an allowance of 3. 5 mm, and then trim the edge with a grinding wheel.
Solid dry cutters
Wet or solid cutting disc, has no cuts for thermal discharge and therefore requires water in the work area for cooling. Without this, continuous operation time is only 10 to 15 seconds., after which the disc is left to rotate for 20. 30 sec. at idle speed. Otherwise the silver solder will weaken and the diamond coating will rub off. Also, overheating leads to deformation of the disc.
If water is supplied, the tile can be cut continuously.
The solid disc cuts tiles better than the segmented disc.
Water is fed into the cutting zone in three ways:
- The easiest solution is to ask an assistant to pour it from a plastic bottle.
- Attach a special device (sold in construction stores) to the hood of the angle grinder.
- Screw the reinforced hose connected to the water mains to the casing with clamps.
The combination discs allow both dry and wet cutting.
- cutting quality is lower than the solid, but better than the segmented one;
- Continuous cutting time is shorter than the segmented but longer than the solid.
Combination disks are easier to clog with dust than others. And if the segmented and solid discs for cleaning is enough to turn 180 degrees, then it is not allowed to do this with the combined. It is used to cut through concrete or sand-lime brick for cleaning.
Getting the tile cut right
Using tiles for finishing walls, there will definitely be a situation when it will be necessary to cut off a part of the tile to fit it into the remaining space. Regardless of the type of tile you choose, such a procedure is required. Cutting is required most often in cases where unique patterns are created on walls or various decorative objects are formed with the help of tiles.
If you have already prepared all the necessary attributes for the work, you can consider how the correct cutting of tiles should be done. angle grinder is an excellent assistant in the matter at hand, because with its help you can create not only straight cuts, but also shaped. Next we will consider how to cut tiles in different ways.
A straight cut is made as simple as possible:
- First you need to fix the tile on a plane so that it does not slip and ride on it.
- The part of the tile that needs to be cut, should remain on the weight. the surface fishing line will be the reference point for the mowing line notch;
- It is necessary to take an angle grinder so that you can see the cutting line. If you hide it from you, you will not be able to make a straight cut.
- You need to guide and move the blade towards yourself, not away from yourself. This is the mistake that many beginners make. Hold the tool firmly and evenly, so that it does not go in different directions, otherwise the cut will be ugly. holding the angle grinder at an angle which is not straight, you could ruin the disc because it could come off.
The circular hole is made in the following way:
- Initially, it is necessary to use a marker to draw the desired hole. The drawing should take place on the glossy side of the tile.
- Then it is necessary to determine the center of the circle. You can do this with straight lines drawn crosswise.
- Carefully file the tile from the inside with an angle grinder in a circle until we go deeper.
- It is necessary to rotate the angle grinder so that the blade gradually fit into the outlined circle.
- When the kerf is deep enough, you need to cut through the outlined cross along the drawn lines, and then carefully take out the obtained 4 sectors of the circle.
To incise a tile it is necessary to cut only the front side, because only in this way will be possible to get a cut without various defects. Consequently, all possible damage will be concentrated on the back side of the tile, which will be covered with tile glue.
It is best to measure and mark the tiles you want to cut from the beginning.
For a 45-degree angle cut, follow the instructions provided:
- It is important to note that cutting a tile obliquely is more difficult than making a straight cut. However, this is much easier than creating shaped elements. To begin with, you need to do.
- Angle grinder should be turned so that the disk was located at the angle you need, while you should gently drive the blade, removing the excess, so that at the end was obtained an even angular cut.
- It is possible to achieve perfection by using ordinary sandpaper, which is best fixed on a block.
An abrasive emery cloth should be used to process each element, as this will help improve the appearance of the cut.
A variety of cutting discs
Today there are many different cutting discs that are designed for a particular material. Tile cutting with an angle grinder should be done with a stone or steel disc (dry cutter) with diamond chips on the work edges. Dry cutters are divided into several types:
- Stone circles are much cheaper than metal disks, but they wear out quicker and leave a wide cut on the tile. While working with them it is necessary to constantly monitor the integrity of the working edge, otherwise the disc can pierce the material, and then even break off and cause serious injury to the user. That’s why you should be careful when cutting ceramic tiles with such a nozzle.
- Metal dry cutters allow you to work without water cooling, but not longer than two minutes, after which you need to cool it by an idle turn of the angle grinder. It is more economical to buy a blade with a continuous diamond coating on the cutting edge.
If you see a glowing plume of sparks when you cut the ceramic, you must correct the protective metal cover, it is possible that it tilts and touches the disk. If the problem is not eliminated, then the steel is licking and it is necessary to clean against the concrete or plaster. Otherwise the dry-cutting saw would be destroyed by overheating.
Dry shears are subdivided into two other types: solid and segmented
The solid disk of the dry cutter can cut the tiles evenly and practically without any chips. Due to the disk’s lack of detonation, it is even possible to trim the edges of tiles at an angle of 45°.
The segmented disc is so called because of the slots in the cutting wheel, which are arranged evenly from the center to the cutting edge, thus dividing the disc into equal parts (segments). Such a nozzle is great to cut through porcelain tiles and natural stone tiles, it is also suitable for cutting ceramic tiles.
Thanks to the slots, the disk is cooled, thus protecting it from rapid wear. But chipping remains on the material because of the increased detonation.
Cutting porcelain stoneware
It’s not just the walls that are being tiled when doing renovations. Stoneware is used as a substitute for granite and marble in bathrooms and toilets. Its cost is many times less than the natural ones, but porcelain stoneware surpasses them in hardness and abrasion parameters. Recently, it has become widespread. It can also be cut with an angle grinder.
For this purpose it is necessary to know the basic methods of processing the material in house conditions.
- It is necessary to choose the right cutting tool. It should state what it is used for: porcelain tile, hard ceramic, etc.п.
- To avoid chipping, use a disc with a continuous cutting edge. Thickness should be minimal.
- Choose a cutting wheel with a high diamond coating height.
- Angle grinder must have a speed regulator.
After selecting the tool prepare the workplace and begin to cut porcelain tile with an angle grinder. To do this it is necessary to perform the following sequential steps.
- Position the material on a flat surface, placing a thin foam pad or similar material under it.
- Securely fasten the tile to the surface with clamps.
- Apply masking tape to reduce chipping and mark the place where the surplus material must be cut off.
- Prepare vacuum cleaner for dust removal.
- Cutting should be done from the front side, moving the grinder in the direction from yourself.
- It is recommended to cut not along the marked line, but a little to the side. This is done for the subsequent grinding of the porcelain stoneware face, to remove the irregularities and chips.
How To Cut Porcelain Tiles by Hand with Grinder without Chipping. Testing Diamond Blades 4 Tiling
Following these simple recommendations, you can own hands qualitatively cut the floor tiles.