Attaching a stretch ceiling to plasterboard: installation with your own hands
Often the decision to use soft ceiling cladding is made after the walls have been covered with plasterboard sheets. In general, this is a good solution, but you need to think of a way to ensure a secure attachment of the stretch ceiling to the plasterboard. The frame must be able to support up to 100 kg per m. п. m px of ceiling material, otherwise the entire endeavor could fail.
Thanks to the flat walls, the geometry is almost perfect
How to make a combined split level system
Using standard wall profiles, a two-tier ceiling construction can be assembled without great effort. It is clear that along the line of installation of the baguettes it is necessary to fix an additional reinforcing profile.
The simplest diagram of a ceiling with two levels
The metal frame itself remains too malleable to attach the tensioned canvas.
Baguettes necessarily put on a reinforcing profile
Placed sheets increase the rigidity of the structure several times, so you can attach the baguette bar after the installation of vertical sections.
Gypsum board is often used in multilevel stretch ceilings as material for framework structures for finishing with film or stretch fabric.
How to Hang Drywall from a Grid Drop Ceiling
Making a plasterboard insert under the canvas
General rules of installation
In order to avoid unforeseen difficulties, the general installation rules for ceiling coverings must always be followed. They are quite simple and easy to follow:
- First it is necessary to draw a general plan of the construction. This is necessary to correctly calculate the material for the ceiling and determine the technology and sequence of installation;
- the base surface must be prepared. if necessary, local repairs are made. The surface must necessarily be coated with primer;
- You need to think in advance about the lighting system. under the suspended ceiling, you need to provide seating for fixtures.
Also, you must make sure that the base ceiling is dry and there is no fungus on it. Otherwise. it is necessary to immediately take measures and eliminate the source of the problems.
Can the stretch ceiling be attached to the plasterboard?
While previously gypsum plasterboard constructions were at the peak of popularity, today they are confidently superseded by suspended ceilings. They bypass drywall in almost all parameters, because they are moisture resistant, durable, easy to clean and install without dust, fire-resistant, environmentally friendly and provide the opportunity to realize the most daring designs. Sometimes for a greater effect resort to the combination of several types of materials, in connection with this and relevant question, whether it is possible to attach a stretch ceiling to drywall. Multilevel designs not only look interesting and bold, but also quite rich.
An interesting combination of plasterboard and PVC-flooring. Or, what can the professionals of “Astam Group” do??
The tensioned construction itself is installed by experienced installers quite quickly. In combination with the installation of plasterboard, the process will certainly take more time and effort. But the result is worth it.
First of all, some nuances of such combinations must be taken into account:
- For the installation of the tensioned canvas profiles are used. To ensure that they hold the weight of the construction, it is necessary to provide a solid reinforcement. And that it in turn did not damage the drywall, it is important to use either double sheets, or single in combination with plywood, or specially provided for a wooden tab for the cloth (needed when lowering the height of the ceiling).
- It is better to avoid too convoluted shapes, surfaces with sharp edges when attaching the canvas.
It would seem that what can be easier than to fix baguettes, and then use a heat gun to heat and install the foil? But when combined with plasterboard, the process becomes a bit more complicated. However, this is no problem for the professionals at “Astam Group”.
Why choose a combination of drywall and stretch ceiling?
Such a combination has many advantages:
- the possibility of zoning the space;
- beautifully hide large-scale communications;
- the widest range of designs and shapes;
- there are no restrictions on the use of different types of lighting;
- Quite a long operating period;
- There is no need to bring the base surface of the ceiling to a perfectly flat condition.
Only when installing it is necessary to take into account that such structures take away the height of the ceiling (at least 10 centimeters). For small low rooms, it is better to consider another, more suitable option. During operation, it is important to maintain the temperature and humidity conditions. plasterboard is sensitive to such fluctuations. Also, for the installation of the construction requires experience and knowledge, so it is better to turn to professionals in their field. the installers of “Astam Group”. Read more about whether you can install a suspended ceiling by yourself?
How the process of attaching a stretch ceiling to plasterboard?
Is it possible to use self-tapping screws or dowels to connect the two types of materials? This method is not suitable here. Definitely need profiles, which will be mounted stretch ceiling. Thanks to this will ensure the reliable fixation of the cloth and the safety of the plasterboard.
Let’s look at what can be fasteners for a stretch ceiling:
- Harpoon. To fix the material are used harpoons. a kind of hooks soldered to the edge of the PVC film around the perimeter. The design includes special “grooves” in the baguette, into which the cloth is “planted”.
- Clip-on. The option of mounting is only suitable for stretch fabric canvases. In this case, using moving parts. “cams” in which the fabric is firmly fixed.
- Staple. In this case, the edges of the film or fabric are placed behind the profile, assuming a margin of 5 to 7 cm. The canvas is fixed with the help of special staples. If we have to dismantle the ceiling, this method of fastening prevents it from being installed again.
The most popular is the harpoon method for attaching a suspended ceiling to plasterboard
You can examine the process of securing the web by the harpoon method step by step. After the drywall box is installed, the level for the exact placement of the profiles is determined.
- Once the profiles are inserted, the panel is fixed onto the special “crab”. Then the surface is heated up to 60 ⁰C with a heat gun and a canvas is fixed, starting from the corners. After the corners, the cloth is mounted in the center of the wall, starting from the corner and working up until all the parts are secured. The harpoon clips in. the PVC sheet is securely fastened.
- When the fabric cools down after heating, all wrinkles and irregularities are smoothed out and completely vanished.
- In the mounting element is placed a decorative insertion (if such is expected), it is the final part of the mounting system.
Contact a professional so that your nerves, money and time will not be wasted. Trust the experience of the masters of “Astam Group”. You will get competent advice, fast work and a great result!
Can you install a suspended ceiling if the walls of plasterboard
It is easy to connect a suspended ceiling and plasterboard by yourself. You need to get acquainted with the installation technology of suspended ceilings from gypsum board. Also need to know the order and rules of installation of a stretched ceiling of PVC film. All the secrets of the work, as well as useful tips and recommendations you will learn on this page.
Stretch ceiling to drywall
Stretch ceiling on drywall construction
Stretch ceilings are superior to gypsum board structures in their popularity in modern renovation. The stretch ceiling assembly is much faster, in addition, finishing is not required, the work does not leave behind construction debris, and most importantly, it is the external aesthetics. In modern construction works, multilevel ceilings are very popular, where installation of stretch ceiling to plasterboard is required.
Installing the box
Consider the step by step attachment of the stretch ceiling to the plasterboard box:
- Using a tape measure or ruler, make a marking of the ceiling space and walls;
- Measure 12 cm from the ceiling base. This will be the reference mark;
- The base mark is transferred to the walls at equal intervals (1 m) along the perimeter. Mark one mark on each wall;
- Connect the marked points with a painting thread. Thus will be determined by the boundaries of the box.
To determine the location of the chandelier, the space in the ceiling is diagonal. The plasterboard box is ready and the stretch ceiling is ready to be assembled.
After the completion of work with the markings begin assembling the frame. Watch a detailed video on installing a stretch ceiling on plasterboard. The frame is mounted from galvanized profiles that can withstand heavy loads.
Proceeding from the markings along the lines of the box, attach the guide profile with dowels. The intervals between the fasteners are no more than half a meter.
On the marks on the ceiling, at similar intervals, attach another profile. The bearing profile elements are cut in small strips (11 cm each), which are fastened to the ceiling surface with screws. For convenience in the process of mounting a stretch ceiling on plasterboard walls, use a screwdriver with a spare charge. The first tool in the work. the second rests and charges.
To make the box sufficiently rigid, to strengthen the design between the rails fasten segments of the supporting profile.
When the fasteners for a suspended ceiling in the plasterboard are ready, you can start laying plasterboard sheets.
Before cladding the frame, carry out work related to lighting.
When the box is ready, it must be sanded, removing all the irregularities, then paint with wateremulsion.
Here are the steps, how to attach a suspended ceiling to the drywall:
It is important that all the self-tapping screws went into the metal profile of the mounted frame.
Drywall ceiling under the suspended ceiling. step by step installation and 5 rules of combination
Combined ceiling from plasterboard and stretch ceiling is now considered almost the most popular way of arrangement of the room, but when installing such a tandem there are many questions. Let’s go step by step through all the stages of the installation of such a structure with their own hands, and at the end I will tell you about the 5 rules of combination.
Modern combination ceiling will be a true decoration of your home.
Methods of attachment
To begin with, let’s look at options when the construction of drywall is not yet assembled. After that, consider ways to attach to the finished plasterboard wall, where there was no provision for the installation of a stretch ceiling.
The following tools will be needed in the process:
- level (laser level is better, but water level will do);
- An impact drill or a torch;
- A screwdriver with a screwing nozzle;
- self-tapping screws and plastic dowels;
- A heat gun to warm up the vinyl film;
- trowel for threading the cloth;
- construction knife;
- hacksaw for metal;
- angle bracket.
Installing the embedded
Before starting the work, it is necessary to determine at what height the stretch ceiling will be attached.
Features: If no built-in lighting is planned, the indentation is minimal. 3-5 cm. Otherwise, the ceiling is lowered by 10-15 cm (depends on the size of the fixtures).
At the desired height marks are placed. Next, the framework of gypsum plasterboard cladding is installed. At the level where the stretch ceiling will be, it is necessary to attach the embedders. Two types of materials are used for this:
The second option is suitable only for small rooms. The embedding will take the brunt of the load from the canvas. It must be securely fastened:
- The profile is bolted to each strut;
- Fix the drywall to the main wall with plugs and galvanized self-drilling screws 4.5×60 mm (at least in two places).
After that, cover the framework with plasterboard. Take sheets with a thickness of 12.5 mm and fasten them with screws every 10-15 cm. A more frequent spacing than in conventional installation gives additional strength.
Important! It is recommended to fasten the plasterboard so that the edges are in the middle of the profile.
The gaps between the sheets strengthen serpentine and putty. Then the walls are painted or wallpapered. Then, in the area of the embedded part, fix the baguettes for stretch ceilings to the drywall. The pitch is standard. 10-15 cm. Then the membrane is stretched.
Installation of a combined two-level ceiling
The second option is fastening the suspended ceiling to a plasterboard box, which is installed along the perimeter of the room. This design allows you to hide utilities and build in lighting. And the height of the room would decrease slightly.
Consider how to mount a rectangular box along the walls with a suspended ceiling in the central part. complex constructions (including in rooms with niches and protrusions) are assembled according to the same principle.
First the frame for the plasterboard part is mounted:
- Secure the profile along the perimeter of the ceiling.
- The necessary depth is measured from the lowest point.
- Using a leveling tape, marks are made at the same level on all walls.
- At this height the lower profiles for the plasterboard are fastened.
- The width of the future box is measured and the walls are marked.
- Mount the profiles parallel to the previous ones.
- Between the lower parts of the frame put horizontal bars (perpendicular to the walls). The distance between them must correspond to the width of the gypsum plasterboard.
- Then the vertical lintels are installed.
- The height at which the stretch ceiling will be located is measured.
- At this level, a solid horizontal profile (which carries the same function as the cribbing) is attached to the vertical lintels.
The frame is lined with gypsum plasterboard. Then a stretch ceiling is attached to the drywall box: