Design and principle of operation
This tool has a specific device, it consists of a metal pin, the size of the reverse hammer is about half a meter. On one side of the pin is a solid handle, and on the other side is a fastening device by which it is fixed to the surface to be treated. There is a special, moving weight in front of the fixing device.
How does it work?? To work, you must attach the tool to the desired surface, hold the handle with one hand and the weight with the other. Then with a sharp movement bring the weight to the handle, due to which a pulling force is formed. In this movement, you can feel the impact, which takes the metal surface towards the handle. The effect itself is similar to a regular hammer blow, but from the opposite side.
There are several ways of attaching it to the surface. Most often this is done with a vacuum, but it is also possible to attach with glue or by welding. In some cases, when there is a fastening point on the surface to be treated, a hook or clamps can be used.
The principle of the suction cup for a reverse vacuum hammer is similar to that of a plumber’s vacuum.
Different models can be supplemented with various accessories, including weights of different weight, to create a wide range of force, but the principle of operation is the same. The manufacturer can also provide a set of fasteners. This allows the tool to be used effectively for repairs of varying complexity and in a variety of situations.
It is very important to properly compose the tool based on the characteristics of the metal to be worked. If it is too thin, a hammer with a large weight may not level the surface, but make a hump.
It is necessary to work with it very carefully, because the slightest deviation from the required force will not bring the desired result. It is only recommended to use the tool in cases where there is no access from the rear of the body. In all other cases, it is better to use a rubber mallet.
If the attachment to the body is made by welding, it is important that the attachment is allowed to cool. Otherwise the heated metal, not the dent, will be pulled.
Types of hammers
Different kinds of hammers are used for various repair and construction jobs. Each model is made of different material, has a different structure and design. What varieties of hammers exist:
Carpenter’s hammer is designed to work with wooden parts, so often the back of the head is equipped with a nailer. Weight is 100-500 g. this lightness is necessary in order to make precise, rather than forceful, blows. The striking surface of the hammer is flat, and the handle can be made of wood, metal or plastic. Rubber pads are usually fastened to the base of the handle for a firm grip.
Carpentry hammers can also include a mallet. Such a tool is made entirely of hardwood. Hammer designed to work with wooden parts in cases where there is a threat of denting the wood. Caulkers are used to join grooves of wooden parts.
- Plastering hammer is designed not only for working with clay surface. Such a tool is actively used in the process of assembling drywall. The tool is small in size, and its percussion part is round in shape. The back part of the head is represented by a small hatchet. Such a design allows you to drive nails into it without damaging the finishing material or make scraping (trimming).
- For laying tiles, tiles or bricks, a rubber hammer is used. Accordingly, such a rubber hammer is also called a beater. The tool helps to seal and level fragile parts of decorative building elements. Since the rubber mallet is called a beater, this type of tool is also ideal for working with wood.
- Carpenter’s (roofer’s) hammer is a tool with a metal head. The percussion part can be round or square in shape, and its surface is usually grooved. The head is additionally equipped with a nailer or sharpened “tendril”. The weight of the tool is usually between 300 and 800 grams. nailing, wedging and adjusting wooden roofing and support beams.
- There is a special percussion tool for masonry, which can be used to undercut bricks while working with brick, concrete. Its flat, narrow part means that it can work on individual pieces of stone, brick or concrete. A mason’s hammer is called a pickaxe, and is popularly referred to as a “cam”. The tool must be hard and not too heavy.
- The locksmith’s hammer is considered the most popular and common. What exactly does the locksmith type of tool consist of. Primarily a round or square head on one side and hardened at a 45° angle on the other. The handle is usually made of wood, but can be metal or metal-plastic. With such a tool you can hammer wedges, nails.
- Sledgehammer or hammer is considered the largest type of hammers among all. You can say that this is a professional device, designed for destruction. Used for powerful impact without much precision. Can be used to hammer in piles, break concrete. The weight of the fixture is 8-10 kg. Consists of a rectangular metal head and a wooden handle.
There are still types of devices that are used in narrow areas. A copper hammer is similar to a sledgehammer, but the tip is made of copper. This alloy does not produce sparks upon impact, so it can be used in flammable situations. Small equivalent of a metalworker’s tool suitable for a welder. But this analogue has a narrower part with a larger angle of rock about 45°-50°.
Depending on the type of work, the type of percussion tool is chosen. Different device of the head helps to perform certain manipulations with different finishing and construction materials.
Distinctive features of a hammer and sledgehammer
If we consider two variants of percussion tools, which differ only in weight, it raises the question of what exactly is the difference between a hammer and a sledgehammer. Sledgehammer is one of the subspecies, but all the differences are striking.
|Weight||50. 1000 г||8-10 kg|
|Size||28. 38 cm||40 cm to 80 cm|
|Purpose||For hammering or dismantling nails||For breaking and hammering piles, wedges|
The main difference between these tools is the striking force and mass. In general, it is considered that the device for hammering, which has a mass of more than 4 kg, is already a sledgehammer.
Electric hammer. how the unit works?
In principle, demolition hammers are not divided into household and professional, because the tool itself is precisely a professional one. Grouping the breakers by different criteria. For example, the weight. the units that weigh no more than 5 kilograms can be classified as lightweight jackhammers. Such devices are universal and particularly convenient when working in a horizontal position.
Most often, such devices are purchased by repair crews, because with their help you can easily knock out the old plaster on the walls, make a niche for a transformer or even get rid of the wall, connecting two rooms into one. We recommend buying different chisels along with the bumpers. they will also fit the bumpers. They can also handle more demanding tasks, although they take much longer than medium sized breakers of 10 kilograms or more.
The heavy hammers weighing 30 kilograms and more handle the most difficult jobs, like dismantling concrete structures. True, such units are most convenient to work in an upright position, in a horizontal position it is virtually impossible, because the operator needs to cope not only with the weight of the tool, but also with vibration. Medium and heavy devices are highly specialized. weight, being their advantage, at the same time is their main disadvantage.
Reverse hammer for body repair
We suggest to consider one more simple variant of the self-made device which will help to remove (straighten) dents on a car body. As a basis of self-made device the author uses an old steering rod from the car.
First it will be necessary to clean it from rust. for this it is convenient to do as follows: clamp the end of the steering rod in the chuck of an electric drill, then turn on the drill, and treat the metal surface with emery paper.
Next, we need a steel round bar. we cut off a 12 cm long piece from it. It will need to drill a through longitudinal hole in it so that it can be put on the steering rack.
You will also need another part of the steering tip, which fits the thread to the steering rod, and a metal plate with notches. See photo below.
In this case the plate is rectangular in shape. But you can make it round or square.
We welded a part of a steering tube to a metal plate, that’s how we got a replaceable nozzle. You put a round piece of steel on the steering rod, at the end of which you weld a washer made of thick metal.
To attach the plate to the surface of the body, you can use some “sticky” glue compound. like a vapor barrier film, which is used when installing plastic windows.
In fact, this device practically does not differ from the first variant. Except for the way of gluing it to the metal.
In the first case the author glued a “suction cup” with hot melt glue and had to wait a while for the glue to harden. The use of the adhesive composition from the vapor barrier film greatly speeds up the execution of the bodywork.
Обратный молоток из старых амортизаторов своими руками. / Reverse hammer of wear shock absorbers
Tip: How to fit square pipes for angle welding
The step-by-step process of making a self-made hammer, as well as its application and possibilities can be seen in the video below. This idea was shared by the author of TEXaS TV.
Reverse hammer. what is it, how does it work, what is it for, features of different types
The purpose of this device is to create a pulling force on the surface in order to level the deformed plane or remove the pressed part. While the standard sledgehammer consists only of a handle and head, the device of this tool is relatively more complicated. In order to understand what it is a reverse hammer, let’s consider the design of the simplest and most common mechanical model:
How does the reverse hammer work??
The kettlebell here moves freely along the smooth pin from the adapter to the rigid stop on the handle. Having briefly studied how a reverse hammer looks like, what kind of useful device it is, let’s consider the principle of its use. The pulling force is created by the sharp movement of the weight at the moment of striking the body of the metal stop. In fact, this method imitates the tapping of metal from the opposite side of the body. In collapsible devices, it is easier to adjust the force of the blow by using weights with different weights.
Classification of air hammers
Now in the market of construction tools there are many pneumatic demolition hammers from different manufacturers. Therefore, it will be quite difficult for a layman to figure out which hammers are better by their parameters, and what should be taken into account when choosing such a tool.
A jackhammer is divided into two basic types:
- volumetric. the work of the device is driven by the rapid expansion of air in a special chamber;
- turbine hammers. work due to the energy generated by the rotation of the blades of an air turbine.
All demolition hammers are classified into four typical sizes according to such a parameter as energy and frequency of blows per second:
- Type One. impact energy up to 30 J and frequency up to 45 Hz. The tool is used for removal, destruction of materials (clay, brick, asphalt) with medium strength, as well as when working in cramped conditions.
- The second type. impact energy up to 40 Joules, impact frequency up to 34 Hz. The machines are used for general construction work.
- The third type. impact energy up to 45 Joules, frequency up to 20 Hz. Suitable for sturdy materials with the impact direction vertically downwards.
- The fourth type. the energy over 50 Joules and frequency up to 24 Hz. Performing work with high-strength materials.
In addition to impact energy, the pneumatic hammer is conditionally divided by the average weight of the tool:
- from 5 to 6 kg. lightweight. carrying out high-rise, finishing and other works, which by their nature do not provide large-scale destruction. Often used in everyday life. Such a tool has a relatively low power level;
- 6 to 10 kg. medium. preferably used for horizontal works. This weight allows the tool to be held for quite a long time, while maintaining a certain direction of work. Therefore, the device is widely used in construction and repair work;
- Up to 15 kg. heavy. This type of pneumatic hammers are designed for heavy work only, most often in industry.
Impact force is the value related to the amount of material extracted per blow. Can range from 2 to 63 Joules. It is believed that the higher the impact force, the higher the speed and degree of efficiency of the device.
Blow frequency: this represents the number of blows per unit of time, i.e., the rate at which the equipment operates. The greater the impact force, the lower their frequency. Often heavy hammers have 1100 strokes per minute, and a lighter tool. 3500.
To ensure the effective functioning of the pneumatic hammer and maintain a high level of its performance should also pay attention to the characteristics of the compressor used: the working pressure and volume of compressed air. https://www.YouTube.com/embed/e4-HJmXsyWw
Making a reverse hammer and body repair with your own hands
Such kind of car repair as body repair is a rather complicated operation. You will need a number of special knowledge, as well as devices and tools. An important role in the body repair plays a reverse hammer. This tool is simple enough and you can easily make it yourself. Especially since there are many recommendations and videos on this topic, as well as drawings. Today you will learn how to make a reverse hammer with your own hands and how to properly use it for its intended purpose.
How to use
The principle of the reverse hammer is as follows:
- First of all, it is necessary to inspect the damaged area of the car, pick up an appropriate hook based on the location and basic dimensions of the dent, to then correctly calculate the accuracy of force application.
- Then the area of the body surface to be repaired must be carefully cleaned of the excess paint coat and primer down to the metal.
- Next, you need to weld on the metal surface of the dent special repair staples (washers) with a welder. If the electric spotter is included with the backhammer, you will only need to change the nozzle during the leveling process.
- Then it is necessary to hook the hook of the auto tool to the staples, and then with gentle and accurate strokes begin to pull out the dent.
- It is recommended to make the alignment until the damaged part of the body surface is completely removed.
- To get rid of the dent on your car, you must first weld a few staples and pull the hammer bar through their holes to remove the damage.
- After that the corrected surface defect should be treated with primer and covered with paint in tone with the body.
It is useful to know: a slide hammer for bodywork is one of the most important tools designed to remove irregularities in hard-to-reach places of the car.
However, it is worth paying attention to the fact that such a device has its own disadvantages, because of which, together with the dent on the car body, the paint layer, which has not even been damaged, is completely removed. Also, you cannot use it to level out large dents in the hood, roof, and trunk surfaces. Welding staples can severely deform the metal, which will eventually lead to the complete replacement of the part.
What is a reverse hammer and what is it for??
This tool is a device that allows you to apply a certain amount of force to an area of metal with limited access. A device is used to align small areas of the deformed car, which have suffered from minor accidents.
Some areas of the car body can be leveled with an ordinary rubber hammer, using blows from the reverse side. However, most surfaces do not have this access. That’s where a reverse hammer is needed. Its tip is fixed in the place of deformation, and a pulling jerk force is transmitted to the surface with the help of the weight, which is on the other end of the device.
Before making a reverse hammer, it is necessary to describe the varieties of this tool. You will need this to make a drawing of the device you want, and then make it.